Sowrav D.
Sowrav D., Engineer
Experience:  Completed Course In Computer Hardware and Printer Repairing
33155275

Epson 1290 printer will not print the red and green lights

Epson 1290 printer will not print the red and green lights are flashing alternately
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for posting your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help you today.

Do you get any error message, when you try to print from your PC ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No error messages

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 3 years ago.
OK, please open the printer cover and let me know, if the cartridges can move to the replacement position or seems to be jammed ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The printer cartridges appear to be jammed as they are not moving across to the replacement position.

Could the printer sponge need cleaning. This printer just stopped working after printing a number of photographs. Can you tell me how to get the sponge out of the printer if you feel that this is the problem please.

Ian

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 3 years ago.
Yes, that can be the problem, please turn off the printer then, try to slide the cartridges with your hand and let me know, if you are able to do or not ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I am able to move the cartridges across by hand

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 3 years ago.
OK, now keep the cartridges at the replacement position or and power on the printer then, let me know, if the cartridges automatically move back to the resting position or stays in the same position ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes it did and the lights are still flashing.

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 3 years ago.
So, it just got back to the resting postion or stayed in the same position ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It moved back to the resting position and stayed there, where it is locked in position by a small white lever which is what happens when resting.

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX last time close the printer cover and reopen it then, let me know if this time cartridges can move to the replacement position or seems to be jammed ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The cartridges move slightly, buzzes, then moves back into position as though ready to print but the two lights continue to flash

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Ifor trying all those steps, you may be thinking, why I am asking you to try the same steps, again and again. That is because, I want to make sure of the exact fault, if it is the sponges or any other sensor is causing this problem or not.

After seeing your reply, it seems the problem is the door sensor, which is defective and that is why the printer do not know, when the door is close or open, due to this reason, when you open the printer cover, the cartridges do not move to the replacement position, where as you can slide them, manually.

The sensor is a micro switch, which get pressed, when you close the printer cover and vice versa, when you open the cover.

The switch can be replaced at home, but to do that, you have to completely dismantle the printer and for that, you will need the service manual, I can help you to get one, but I will only recommend you to do that at home, if you have any previous experience with repairing, otherwise you can replace the switch from any local repair shop.

Now, as flashing light only indicates problem with the printer, but do not define the exact cause, if you still wish to clean the sponges then, open the link below and watch the video to clean the absorbers and then follow the steps.

The printer shown in the video can be different, but the procedure is almost same for all the Epson printers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwylF5dHgY4

If the problem persist then, the sensor is defective.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know, otherwise please remember to give rating and I request you that, do not give negative rating, as the problem is caused due to defective spare of the printer and I can only tell you, what is defective , as it is not possible for me to replace the defective spare.