Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

Hi My Canon MP830 printer pulls paper through the feeder unevenly,

My Canon MP830 printer pulls paper through the feeder unevenly, so that it is scrunched up when it emerges. This happens both with the rear and the front trays. Can I do anything about it?

Hopefully!

Ernie Hailwood
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Hello my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Before we start I want to make sure you are aware it is possible you need to replace a part in order to fix this.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, I accept this

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok did you check behind the rollers?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just checked the parts that I could see when I opened up the printer ports and removed the lower paper tray. I guess I could see the fronts of the rollers but I'm not sure about the backs

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok turn the machine around and on the back there is a rear cover, remove that cover and you should be able to see the back of the rollers like in this image:

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK I had already looked at this and the two sets of 4 grey rubber rollers all seem clear

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok they should move freely please spin then and make sure there is nothing stuck.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They were very stiff to move initially, but after pushing hard I finally got them moving. After rotating them for a while (in both directions) they have eased up and can now be turned relatively easily, though there seems to be quite a bit of "natural" friction and I wouldn't say they can "spin" freely

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok it sounds like they may need to be lubricated, they are starting to fail and need to be replaced, or there is still something stuck inside. Let's check if something is stuck first to do that remove all paper from the machine. Then feed something thick like a piece of card stock through. This should force the machine to work harder and dislodge anything that is still stuck.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just lost my internet connection. Can you please confirm that you received my reply to your last question (trying a piece of card etc). Thanks

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
No I did not, what happened when you tried it?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried a piece of thick card and had to help push it through, but it printed OK. Then when I tried a couple of pieces of thinner card and standard paper, they were all scrunched up, as before

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Do not push it through, the machine should be able to do it on it's own. If it can not it usually means the sheet feeder is starting to fail. It may take an extra minute to go through properly.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just tried again, but if I didn't push, the thick card wouldn't start moving, the machine sounded as though it "thought" paper was being fed through and finally came up with message that paper was stuck in the feeder, though this wasn't the case (just the piece of card still in the feeder).

I tried again with thinner card but this still gor scrunched up

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Unfortunately what you are describing usually indicates the sheet feeder has failed and needs to be replaced. I hate having to tell you that and I know this is not what you want to here but I want to make sure I am honest with the information I provide you. Unfortunately this part normally costs around $100 just for the part itself.

Due to the price some people do decide to replace the machine if it is more than a year old if you decide to go that route I would be happy to help you find a replacement. If this machine is under a year old (3 with an extended warranty) Canon will normally cover the part under warranty. If you have any questions or need any help following these steps click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please consider leaving a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ah well, it was worth a try. I have an alternative printer, so I'll make do with this for the time being. Thanks for your advice

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
You're welcome and please don't forget to leave a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated.
.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience