Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

Canon Pixma iP4850 has worked well until recently. Printing

Canon Pixma iP4850 has worked well until recently. Printing a 6x4 glossy photo now produces a perfect 5x4 image, but the final inch is skew, accompanied by a grating noise from the printer. I have tried all the maintenance options. Can this be remedied please?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Hello my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Does the same thing happen on a normal sheet of paper?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No! I printed off an A4 sheet with a scan of Black & White print with no problems. The problem occurs (so far) only with 6"x4" glossy photo paper in portrait mode, where the last inch is skew and smudged. The A4 sheet was not glossy photo paper. I think it is a mechanical problem?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
It does sound like a hardware issue to be sure please try feeding something through like a piece of card stock. If anything small is jammed which can cause this only with things like glossy paper that should dislodge it.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried this. It seemed to work with matt card, but when I repeated the operation with glossy paper, the paper feed started to make the same grating noise. It did not persist and the paper made only a one-line skew skip. I'll try again tomorrow when I have acquired a new pack of photo paper: I've used the old one up in failed prints! Thanks so far.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
You're welcome and unfortunately if the same thing happens after trying it tomorrow it means the paper feed unit has failed and needs to be replaced. This is the part of the machine that feeds the paper through, if it is only slightly damaged it can only show the problem with certain types and sizes of paper. Usually it is due to a small nick on one of the rollers but unfortunately the part is one piece you can not replace just the roller.

The part itself normally costs between £50 and £65. It would take about 30 minutes to an hour for a tech to replace it at their shop rate. Most Shops charge between £55 and £70 per hour. Due to the price some people do decide to replace the machine if it is more than a year old if you decide to go that route I would be happy to help you find a replacement. If this machine is under a year old Canon will normally cover the part under warranty. If you have any questions or need any help following these steps click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please consider leaving a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated.
.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think you are right, alas. A new test run with 6x4 glossy resulted in the same noises for the last inch, though the actual print was not as badly distorted as before. The printer remains useable, and is OK for A4 text and all but the fussiest postcard size colour prints. I will have to replace the machine eventually (it's 3 + years old) as you suggest, it is certainly not worth paying for a repair. Thank you for your patience and help.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
You're welcome and I sincerely wish I could have given you better news.I am happy to help you find a replacement if you would like me to. If not please don't forget to leave a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Problem seems to have solved itself: recent use has been trouble free. Thank you, ( but I'm not willing to pay an extra £ 13 just to rate you, however good you've been).