Richard, Technician
Experience:  AAS degree in computer technology.
46422908

Hi - I have an Epson Stylus D78 that just wont print. Red

Hi - I have an Epson Stylus D78 that just won't print. Red and green light both on steady. I have tried it with both my laptops but the 'see what's printing' window just keeps telling me it is printing - then sometimes it says there is a printing error. USB lead properly plugged in at both ends. I have tried switching on and off both the printer and whatever laptop is attached but still nothing. I have just replaced the black printer cartridge with a genuine Epson replacement. Tried putting the old one back in and that didn't work so new one back in again. The carriage moves to the right place when required to make the replacement. Everything seems fine but just won't print. (yes there is paper in there as well and there is no blockage). Caroline
Category: Printers
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Hi. I am Rick. I will be your printer professional.

I would be happy to help with this. Can you give this a try a let me know what happens.

Turn off the printer and then unplug it from the power source.
Now press and hold the power (on/off) button for 1 minute.
Now release the button and plug the printer back in.
Turn it on and see if the error clears.
Let me know how this goes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Rick. Did exactly as you said but still no joy I'm afraid.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
OK thanks Caroline. Have you tried replacing the usb cable?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you mean taking it out and putting it back in or replacing it with a new one?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I haven't got a new one - no.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
No I meant to replace it with a new one. You see what it sounds like is the signal is not getting from your computer to the printer because the printer is working fine but it does not see the signal to print. . Would you like me to locate one online for you..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Rick - not sure you got my last reply. Think I may have done it wrong. Is there any reason why the usb would stop working? It's been fine. If there is no other solution then yes - I'd be grateful if you could find one for me. Thank you.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
I think it may be the cable because everything you are describing sounds as if the printer itself is working fine. The reset I gave you would have corrected any glitch in the system and put the printer back to factory settings. The cable does not need anything special to happen to go bad sometimes it just happens. The wiring in them is very thin and fragile. I have seen them go bad before without anyone even touching them.
You can get a new cable at this LINK. and sound you still need help by all means let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Rick. Much appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Rick - thank you for the link and sorry to be a pain but, as my daughter has just pointed out, the computer gives an audible signal that it recognises the cable being attached and detached as I take it in and out. Is that significant? Could it still be faulty?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
That is a good point however it does not mean it can see to the other end of the cable meaning it may not be getting a good connection at the printer end. What you could try is uninstall the printer and then plug the printer back in and see if the computer re installs it.
A much easier way is if you have another computer plug the printer into it and see if it recognizes the printer. If not that would indicate the cable.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As I said, I've tried both my laptops and the issue is the same. It's not like cable is expensive so I'll give it a go.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Rick

Sorry to bother you again but I got the cable and it still isn't working! Any other suggestions?

Caroline

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Not a bother at all Caroline.
I do have another cause and it is not good. If the new cable did not do it, based on how it is acting it is sounding like there is a short in the connector that the usb goes into or the control board of the printer. This is very uncommon but it is about all that is left.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So I'm guessing that means there is nothing can be done?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Nothing from a cost effective standpoint. It is possible to have the control board replaced however it would cost almost as much as replacing the printer. These printers are not really intended to be repaired. They are built to be throw aways.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok - thank you so much for your help Rick. Very much appreciated.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome. Have a great day.