Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

I have a Pixma MP620 printer. I switched it on this morning

I have a Pixma MP620 printer. I switched it on this morning and nothing came on. Does it have any internal fuse? or have you any idea what the problem is likely to be and if so can it be repaired. REGARDS W.xxxxxx

Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Your printer doesn't have any user-replacable fuse. Even though the outlet is working for something else please plug the printer in to an outlet in a different room and let me know if the same thing happens.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have pluged printer into a socket in the hall and the same thing happens. ie no response.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok how did you check the power cable when you tested it?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What do I do to check it fully. The power cable has always worked so what is the best way to check it fully?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
You would either need to try it on a different device, try a different cable to this printer, or use a voltmeter to check the current.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will try another cable to the printer and let you know if it now works.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok take your time.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have tried another cable - plugging it into the printer but unfortunately that doesn't work. Any other suggestions?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
That is not a good sign, how old is the machine?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My printer is more or less 5 years old - I bought it in January 2009. The problem is that I have a large number of printer cartridges which I don't wish to throw away and I don't think there are printers avaiable atm which use the same cartridges.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Unfortunately what you are describing would require replacing power supply unit inside the printer which can be more expensive that replacing the mahcine itself. There machines are no longer sold other than eBay you are correct. The ink is compatible with all of these models:

PIXMA MP560, PIXMA MP620, PIXMA MP640, PIXMA MP980, PIXMA MP990, PIXMA MX860, PIXMA MX870, PIXMA iP3600, PIXMA iP4600, PIXMA iP4700, PIXMA MP620, PIXMA MP980, PIXMA MP990

I would call around local smaller shops and see if they have a used one they could sell you with a different problem. Often machines with a failing print head are left behind you can then swap out your print head into the other machine. Otherwise any of the models I listed above would work with your ink. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your machine needing a new part.
.