Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair
59725966

I have a Kodak esp c310 printer that wont print a word document

Customer Question

I have a Kodak esp c310 printer that wont print a word document -the type comes out very faint. I've done a test print and that has printed perfectly. I have put in an new ink cartridge .
Any help would be appreciated.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Nathan :

hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the kodak

Nathan :

could you please try making a photocopy (just text is fine) on the kodak for me, in both black mode and then in color, and let me know how those come out?

JACUSTOMER-1014xk7h- :

I tried to copy a document with text but the copy reduced the text to very small and has it over in a small section of the copy. I don't use the printer for copying so don't know how to get a colour copy.

Nathan :

There should be a button on the front of the machine, one that says black, the other color, that you press right before hitting start

Nathan :

on the text that did come out, is it readable, or is it faint as well?

JACUSTOMER-1014xk7h- :

It is readable but very small and faint.

Nathan :

Okay, since that is coming out faint as well (the size isn't an issue, it was probably just scaled/zoomed incorrectly), these symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head.

Nathan :

The test page may come out fine, and color copies likely would as well, because some color is used to print even black text

Nathan :

but the black nozzles in your head aren't working correctly.

Nathan :

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function, if it doesn’t work try it a second time. If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning.

Nathan :

To try manually cleaning the print heads:

Open up the printer, and look for the "carriage" that goes back and forth (on metal rails) over the paper while printing.

You'll remove the cartridges, then clean on the bottom of them (focus on the ink port/hole) as well as inside the printer where they mate up using qtips and rubbing alcohol. (ear buds and surgical spirits/meths)

If you can, remove the carriage/print head (there will be a small lever at the side/rear of it that lifts up to release) and clean the bottom this way as well.

Nathan :

When cleaning the port on the print head that the ink flows into from the cartridge, also try using a qtip to "pump" the liquid down into the port and force it through, which will help to dissolve any clogs. If possible, you'll get better results by using a syringe and appropriately sized rubber tubing (that will fit into the ink inlet port) to force the alcohol to flush through the head)

After all of this swab again with a few dry qtips or give a blast of compressed air to dry everything well, then put it all back together. You can now try to print, or run the automated print head cleaning function in the setup menu. You may have to run a few pages through before everything starts flowing properly again.

If none of this helps, then you've got a faulty print head(s) which would need to be replaced.

JACUSTOMER-1014xk7h- :

I'll try that and thanks

Nathan :

You're welcome, and good luck!

Nathan :

If it doesn't work, and you need help finding a replacement printhead, a local repair shop, or recommendations for a new printer (this would be my suggestion, this model isn't really worth the investment in parts, when you can buy a brand new printer for not much more), just let me know.