Richard, Engineer
Experience:  15 years consulting in the IT industry with Printing engineering
32989067

I have a Pixma MP990 It will copy OK but when trying to print

I have a Pixma MP990 It will copy OK but when trying to print a document it won't print the black type I have tried from two different computers . They are connected with wi fi
Category: Printers
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

To clarify, it prints everything except for Black.

Is this correct?

Please let me know

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, that's correct. However it makes copies OK

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks David

This is an issue that can occur with the print head

Can you clean the purge pad in the printer with a towel soaked in window cleaner and, remove the print heads and soak this in warm water for 10 minutes then thoroughly dry.

Then put it back in the printer and tell me if Black is now printing please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Richard Where is the purge pad? Also, if that's the problem, how is it that the printer can print perfect cpoies?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
because it uses the print head in a different manner.

Take a look with a torch on the ink pads on the right side where the printhead is parking on. You will see the pad there. It should be almost dry. There are most likely 2 parts: one for the dye ink and 1 for the pigment. If one of them is quite wet and contain a pool of ink, then your problem is the purging system (it sucks away the ink away during cleaning cycles). And this is what you need to clean.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I found the pad and it was quite wet.....my fingers are now black! not a pool but very damp How do i get it out to clean it?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, if it does not release (they are either screwed in or clipped) then you need to clean it there within the printer.

The fact it is damp indicates and issue so clean it as thoroughly as you can and allow it to dry.

Let me know the results please
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
David

Why did you go and give me the worse possible rating?

I have been waiting for the results from you, and all I get is this?

this is not the way to work with people.

Can you do the right think and actually reply? As just giving me the worst rating and hearing nothing is not really the right thing to do.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I replied and asked again why you thought it was to do with the print head when the printer prints perfect copies. If you look back to our conversation I asked the same question earlier and you ignored my question. That's the reason for the rating I gave you.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
I answered it straight after you asked it

"because it uses the print head in a different manner."

Scroll up and have a closer look.

Really, this is why I got the bad rating and a blemish on my profile?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I apologise!! I never spotted that you wrote " because it uses the print............. Really sorry.

However I went into maintenance and cleaned the rollers. It's now working.

Is there some way I can retract the bad rating and give you a better one?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Its ok David, just some customers give ratings for very strange reasons, and it is hard to respond all the time to this.

Yes you can change it by re-rating below.