Viet - Printer Tech
Viet - Printer Tech, Technician
Experience:  Troubleshoot printers, scanners, etc.
30037186

My pixma mp610 has happily printed and scanned from my imac

My pixma mp610 has happily printed and scanned from my imac for years. Recently, I am unable to scan, but can still print. When I try to scan I get "Cannot communicate with scanner. Cable may be disconnected or scanner may be turned off. Check status. Scanner driver will be closed. 155.0.0"
I have checked the connections, and the fact that the printer is still working indicates that these are fine. I did try a different cable, but the same result.
I'm wondering whether this is a common issue with a simple solution? Could there be a recent apple update that has caused this?
Thanks for your help!
Jonathan
Category: Printers
Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 2 years ago.

Viet - Printer Tech :

Hello! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed printer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

Viet - Printer Tech :

I'm sorry about the issue. Are you using the MP Navigator program to scan?

Viet - Printer Tech :

Please try the following:

Customer:

yes using mp navigator

Viet - Printer Tech :

1. Please disconnect the printer USB cable from the computer for now.

2. Click on the Apple logo / menu at the top left, then select System Preferences..., then open Print & Fax (or Print and scan).

3. Select the Canon... printer

4. Click on the - (minus) icon at the bottom left, and remove/delete the printer.

5. Power on the printer, then reconnect it to the computer.

6. Click on the + (plus) icon at the bottom left, and re-add the printer.

Viet - Printer Tech :

7. Then check scanning. If that does not work, within the General settings pane of the MP Navigator EX Preferences window, check the Product name, it may list multiple items, select the other item, and check.

Customer:

still doesn't work after removing and adding the printer. I'm have a general preferences pane, and it lists the correct printer only.

Viet - Printer Tech :

Sorry, there is only one printer listed in the product name in general preferences? is there any a dropdown list?

Customer:

Any other ideas Viet?

Viet - Printer Tech :

Sorry, there is only one printer (not multipe) listed in the product name in general preferences? is there any a drop-down list?

Customer:

There is no drop down list, just one product listed next to product name

Viet - Printer Tech :

Can you click on product name and/or the name on the right of product name, does it show another item?

Customer:

Can't click on the product name

Viet - Printer Tech :

Sorry, what's the length of the USB printer cable? And is the USB printer cable connected directly to the computer (not via a USB hub, etc.)?

Customer:

The cable is about 15 foot including an extension cable. But this has worked fine for years.

Viet - Printer Tech :

I think either one of the cable is bad (part of it, even if printing is working), and/or the latest apple update does not allow it

Viet - Printer Tech :

Can you try only the 6 ft cable and check?

Customer:

I tried that yesterday but it made no difference

Viet - Printer Tech :

Sorry, can you quit MP Navigator application, then download and reinstall the scanner driver at the website below:

Viet - Printer Tech :

After downloading and installing it, then open MP Navigator, then see if you can scan.

Customer:

Hi Viet, I'm not so sure about doing this.

Viet - Printer Tech :

Just click on the website, then click on Download file to download and install. Or let's try another easier way first:

Viet - Printer Tech :

Open Finder, then open folder Applications, then open the application called Image Capture, then see if you can scan with Image Capture.

Customer:

it says "no camera or scanner connected"

Viet - Printer Tech :

Sorry, can you try Image capture with only the 6 ft printer cable (not extension)?

Viet - Printer Tech :

If that still does not work, the scanner driver is corrupted; please download and reinstall it at the website below:
http://wikisend.com/download/610220/msd_-mac-mp610-13_9_2a-ej7.dmg

Customer:

this will take me a few minutes of rearranging my office, hold on!

Viet - Printer Tech :

No problem. Please take your time. Thank you,

Customer:

Viet, I just realised my other cable is also longer than 6 foot. the scanner still doesn't show on the image capture page. I'll try reloading the scanner driver as you suggest and will order a new cable.

Viet - Printer Tech :

How long is the other cable? OK, please reinstall the scanner driver

Customer:

looks like its about 15 foot. driver installed

Viet - Printer Tech :

I thought you said 15 ft including extension cable

Viet - Printer Tech :

Close Image Capture, then re-open it, then see if you can scan in Image Capture.

Customer:

that was the cable running under the carpet this is a different cable

Viet - Printer Tech :

Oh sorry

Customer:

strill the same message, scanner not connected

Viet - Printer Tech :

Sorry, after this issue has occurred, you did shut down / restart the computer right?

Customer:

No have not shut down

Viet - Printer Tech :

Restart the computer, and check. If needed, remove / re-add the printer again, and check.

Viet - Printer Tech :

If all fails, please try with a shorter cable.

Viet - Printer Tech :

Usually, try 6 ft cable.

Customer:

ok, thanks for your help

Viet - Printer Tech :

You're welcome. You can get back to me any time via this web page as needed. Bookmark this web page, and/or

Viet - Printer Tech :

And/or see your email for message from Viet / JustAnswer in order to get back to me any time via this web page.

Customer:

ok thanks

Viet - Printer Tech :

You're welcome.

Viet - Printer Tech, Technician
Experience: Troubleshoot printers, scanners, etc.