Richard, Engineer
Experience:  15 years consulting in the IT industry with Printing engineering
32989067

I have an HP 309g all-in-one printer and have just replaced

I have an HP 309g all-in-one printer and have just replaced all the cartridges. The colours are fine but the black will not print anything. I have cleaned everything I have been advised to clean but still no luck. Any other ideas please?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

If you put the old cartridges back into the printer, does it then print Black?

Please let me know

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No it doesn't print black with either old or new cartridge.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Gill

Are you getting an error message either on the printer or on the computer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No message. It just stopped printing. The printer runs normally, paper, installation etc but just won't print in black.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

I want you to clean the printhead please Gill.

To do this, Load letter, A4, or legal unused plain white paper into the main input tray.
In the HP Solution Center, click Settings.
In the Print Settings area, click Printer Toolbox.

NOTE: You can also open the Printer Toolbox from the Print Properties
dialog box. In the Print Properties dialog box, click the Features tab, and
then click Printer Services.

The Printer Toolbox appears.

Click the Device Services tab.
Click Clean the printhead.
Follow the prompts until you are satisfied with the quality of the output, and then
click Done.

Let this complete and when it has, tell me please if Black is now printing.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have cleaned Printhead but still no black.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Are these authentic HP Catridges Gill?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes they are. Will only use authentic ones as I'm worried cheaper ones will damage the printer. I have 2 brand new cartridges, bought 2nd today, as I thought the 1st may be faulty, but neither work.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Gill, and smart move as they do cause issue.

But in your case, the print head has malfunctioned.

You have cleaned it manually, electroncally, as well as rule out faulty cartridges, which leaves a faulting printhead as the cause.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the printer to have this replaced. It it will be covered by the warranty, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you. But they need to be changed out.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Richard, Engineer
Experience: 15 years consulting in the IT industry with Printing engineering
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks for your help and advice. I had a feeling it would be something like that. Unfortunately no longer under warranty.

Thanks again

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Your most welcome Gill, and sorry to hear about the warranty expiring, though you should still get an offer from the store on having it replaced without a warranty.

If you need anything else, please let me know