Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

I have a Canon Pixma iP5200 printer. - The yellow error

Customer Question

I have a Canon Pixma iP5200 printer.

- The yellow 'error' light keeps flashing and the printer is not working.
- The ink cartridges do not move across when I open the lid (I have replaced them all recently with Canon ink cartridges).
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Before we start I want to make sure you understand it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So what happens next? I notice the £15 has already been deducted from my credit card.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
I never got any response from you or you missed my reply here it is again just in case:
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have only just received this message. How do I find out what spare part might be required?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hopefully you will not need one, we would need to troubleshoot to find out.
The light should flash in apattern like 4 orange 1 green for example, what is that pattern?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Alternating green/yellow 11 times then green, then it starts alternating again for 11.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok if the print head (carriage) is not moving over that could be what is causing the issue.
Turn the machine off and unplug it.

Then by hand move the print head (cradle) by hand.
It should move freely, if it does not it is damaged.

Move it back and forth across the bar 3 or 4 times.
Then leave it in the middle of the bar.

Plug the machine back in and turn it on.
Give it a minute or two to detect the print head in the middle and recalibrate it.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The cradle is now moving back and forth when I open the top but the yellow light is now flashing 5 times while the green light is constant.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
5 Times is a print head error which is the part the ink cartridges sit on top of.
Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

still 5 yellow flashes

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok next we will want to remove the print head and do a manual deep cleaning.
This video explains how to do that: Click Here

.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have cleaned the printhead but still have 5 yellow flashes

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
I was afraid of that, the next step would be to try a print head cleaning kit like this one: Click Here It says Brother but it works with all brands as all kits come with the same thing. It comes with solution that dissolves dried ink that may be on the sensors or in the ink line a syringe and instructions. If this still does not work it is it means the print head has failed. In order to fix this the print head inside the printer needs to be replaced.

I really hate to have to tell you this but after the troubleshooting we have done if the problem is still there I am sorry to say you indeed are going to require a new part. I know this is not what you want to here but I want to make sure I am honest with the information I provide you. You would need to replace the print head in order to fix this issue.

I wish there was another way but with everything you have posted I am confident this is the problem with your machine. The reason for this is he print head is the part of the printer that puts ink from the cartridges onto the page. Over time these parts deteriorate and need to be replaced.

A new print head normally costs between £60 and £80. It would take about 30 minutes to an hour for a tech to replace it at their shop rate. Most Shops charge between £55 and £70 per hour though you could probably do it yourself as you just removed the print head. You can get the part from here: Click Here In case you would like to look for it somewhere else the part number is XXXXX

Due to the price and the rare possibility the logic board has failed causing a false print head error some people do decide to replace the machine if it is more than a year old if you decide to go that route I would be happy to help you find a replacement. If this machine is under a year old Canon will normally cover the part under warranty. If you have any questions or need any help following these steps click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please consider leaving a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your help. This will obviously take me some time to sort out. Luckily I do have another printer to use in the meantime.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
You're welcome and take all the time you need. If you decide to replaceit I would be happy to help you find one.
.