Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

I have a little used Brother J591ODW printer. For the last

I have a little used Brother J591ODW printer. For the last few months it has been virtually unusable. The Paper constantly jams. I am using a good quality paper (HPColorlok 80gm/m2) and the printer is kept in a clean dry and warm.

Last week I thoroughly cleaned the rollers (all of them) on the paper pickup. There is no damage or wear which is evident - the printer worked reasonably well for 2 days. Now it's back to normal - frustrating and anything over 2 pages I am completely wasting my time.

Does anyone have any suggestions - other than dump it - that is?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Hello my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Before we start I want to make sure you understand it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes - understood

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
OK to clarify what you have told me so far if you load only a single sheet into the printer it will always work properly correct?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No - I have never tried that - I tend to have print runs of - on average - 2 to 4 sheets - I always use the auto-feed - that is where the problem lies with the auto-feed

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok can you try it for me now, try printing anything even a blank page 4 or 5 times loading only a single sheet at a time. See if the same thing happens or not.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No go - tried it twice - both times the paper jammed in the paper feed tray - it feeds from the paper tray - but stops feeding just before it reaches the top set of rollers

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
That is not a good sign. You said you cleaned it, how did you clean it?
Did you make sure to clean the rollers on the back as well?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I cleaned it in accordance with the recommendations in the Brother printer manual - Yes all of the rollers - some with a dry lint free cloth - others using a most cloth - as instructed

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Did you fully remove the paper tray to get to the flap behind it?
I do not have the manual with me so do not know if that is in there or not.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes

FYI you can get a copy online at www.brother.com (free of charge) - the information starts on Page 68

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Thanks for letting me know so I am able to see what you have done, unfortunately that is not a very bad sign since it sounds you cleaned thoroughly.
How old is the machine?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

2 years (max)

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Did you happen to buy an extended warranty with it? The factory warranty is a year on Brother machines.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Darn, I was afraid of that, I really hate to have to tell you this but unfortunately you indeed are going to require a new part. I know this is not what you want to here but I want to make sure I am honest with the information I provide you. What you are describing normally means the feeder has failed and needs to be replaced.The part itself normally costs around $100 or £75 depending on which country you are in not including any labour.

Due to the price some people do decide to replace the machine if it is more than a year old if you decide to go that route I would be happy to help you find a replacement. If this machine was under a year old Brother would normally cover the part under warranty. If you have any questions or need any help following these steps click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please consider leaving a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It has to be said that the service I have received has been good.With hindsight - it was somewhat optimistic of me to think thank I was going to get this problem fixed by someone in the USA and I live in the UK.

That's life - Never mind - it looks like it is time for a new printer

The annoying part is that only recently I bought a bulk order of ink cartridges and - sure as hell - they won't fit any printer I am now likely to buyCry

Thanks Freddy

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
I can help you find a replacement if you would like me to.
If not please don't forget to leave a positive rating for my help I greatly appreciate and sincerely XXXXX XXXXX could have given you better news.
.