Engineer John C.
Engineer John C., Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ Certified and 10 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

Epson Aculaser C1100 (Customer No. XXXXXXXXXX

Customer Question

Epson Aculaser C1100 (Customer No. XXXXXXXXXX The magenta and cyan colours do not print beyond 35mm from the right hand edge of an A4 page. Black and yellow print to the edge of the page as normal. This problem occurred both before and after I replaced the photoconductor unit. Powder cartridges are fairly full but I tried a replacement cyan cartridge and there was no improvement. Can you please advise. Regards, ***** *****

Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I advise you to check whether the laser 'window' on the laser unit (only while the power is Off, though! to avoid eye damage), in the parts where the laser beam shines through to the magenta and cyan drums or cartridges, are at all occluded with toner dust or other dust. Wiping the laser window off with a clean lint-free cloth is recommend.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your response, Russell.

Dust may be a problem but I am unable to identify the 'laser window' - no reference in the Epson manual. For further detail, on my trial sheet I have printed full page width 5mm thick lines each in cyan, magenta, yellow and black. The cyan and magenta colours stop with a clean break 35mm before the edge of the sheet. The cyan starts to grade back in slightly at the end of the page. I don't know if this influences your diagnosis.

I shall be pleased if you can identify the 'laser window for me so that I can check. (I have previously cleaned the print head using the slide bar on the side so I am familiar with that).

Regards,

Geoffrey

"Laser window" means the transparent glass windows on the laser unit (usually marked prominently with a triangular optical hazard warning sign) through which the laser beam shines onto the developer or 'drum'.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I assume that you are advising on the basis of a working knowledge of this specific printer (Aculaser C1100) because there is no evidence on close examination of any 'laser window'. There is a unit at the top of the printer which gets very hot (180 deg C) with warning triangles but not optical warnings. I assume that this burns the powder on to the paper but is the laser located in this unit? Or is it inside the drum holding the toner cartridges? I am fairly practical but without an illustration I think it is impossible to correct the fault.

Further clarification would be much appreciated but if you are unable to help further, please let me know.

Regards,

Geoffrey

The unit you speak of is the fuser, no doubt. No window there for sure.

If your printer is a laser printer ('Acculaser' it is called, after all!) then it has a laser unit. A laser unit must shine a laser beam onto a photosensitive roller (usually metallic-looking and shiny blueish or greenish -coated.) That laser unit and laser beam have a 'window' that is transparent to visible light, through which the laser beam shines (when the printer is powered On and working) onto the photosensitive roller. Therefore if you locate the photosensitive roller or 'drum's position in the printer, you can say for sure that it is near the laser unit, and the laser 'window' is pointed at it with nothing opaque intervening.

If this is too hard to do, I will try to find specifics as to where the laser unit window is located, and how to clean it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for trying. The problem still exists but I am trying an alternative enquiry. I will let you know if I succeed. If we can leave this in abeyance for the time being it would be appreciated.

That's fine - this question can be left for a week to 10 days or longer, and it will do OK in the meantime.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Russell,

Because of some voluntary work commitments I shall not be able to pursue with this printer malfunction problem until mid May.

Thanks,

Geoffrey Williams

Mid-May will do then. I am in no hurry, Geoffrey.

Resume the case at your convenience by all means.