Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

i have a canon inkjet printer mp810 asignal has come up saying

i have a canon inkjet printer mp810 asignal has come up saying error5020 it tells me to switch scanner lock off and turn machine off and on again ihave done this but no joy
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Is this error showing on the printer or the computer?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

on the printer

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Turn the machine off and unplug it.
With the machine unplugged hold any button down for about 10 seconds.

Plug the machine back in and turn it on.
Make sure the switch itself is set to unlock and then see if the error changes.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i have done as you said but the problem is still the same

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Is it the same number 5020 as well?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok are you getting 5200 or B200 as well?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no only5020

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok that means we are going to need to take it apart then, how old is the machine?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

about 8 years

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok then you are way out of warranty so we do not need to worry about voiding it.
One thing before we do that is Turn the printer OFF, when it is on, by suddenly unplugging it not using the power button.

Also unplug the USB cable after this, if you use an USB cable.
Wait for 10 minutes. Plug it back in.
Turn it on if it didn't turn itself on. Wait for it to initialize.
If the same error shows up:

Detach the ADF from the top of the scanner.
Remove the four screws at the top rear of the scanner unit.

Remove the left and right control panel covers. There are six snaps (3 top and 3 bottom) on each one.
Start at the bottom, once that is free pull gently and the top should snap out relatively easily.

Remove the four screws holding the control panel unit and pull the control panel out part way.
Remove the two screws under the control panel unit.

With a small flat screwdriver gently pry the top half of the scanner housing up, go around the edge and when you come to a tab try to push it in.
Now you can clean the glass.

BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO DISTURB THE SCANNER UNIT ITSELF - DON'T PUSH IT BACK OR FORTH ON THE RAIL OR IT WILL LOSE ALIGNMENT.

.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks Freddy but i think i will buy a new printer i think i have broken something inside the machine ihave had a good run with this machine and iexpect the new ones will have improved thanks for trying.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok, if you would like I would be happy to help you find a replacement.
If not please don't forget to leave a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated.
.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience