carlday1
carlday1, Engineer
Experience:  Self Employed Hardware Engineer
69505510

Cannon Pixmar, MP810 no longer switches on Checked the connecting

Customer Question

Cannon Pixmar, MP810 no longer switches on
Checked the connecting cable which is OK
Had been doing a nozzel clean and for no apparent reason went off and now won't switch on.

Have cleaned the print head as recommended elsewhere but still nothing
Category: Printers
Expert:  carlday1 replied 3 years ago.

carlday1 :

Thank for using Just Answer my name is Carl and I will help you with your question.

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your printer, does your printer appear to be dead?

I have come across this problem before with this model of printer and it is usually the power supply that is at fault, there is a small component in the power supply that fails and stops the printer from powering up.

A replacement power supply is available here

http://www.crc-tasktron.co.uk/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=MP600PS

JACUSTOMER-1tx6aauf- :

The printer is dead.

JACUSTOMER-1tx6aauf- :

Before spending money on a power supply I need to check that it is dead (ie the item to be replaced) can you say what component usually fails?

JACUSTOMER-1tx6aauf- :

(Internet comments suggest others have replace the power supply and still fails)

carlday1 :

I suspect it is the regulator in the power supply I cannot remember what type it is, If you are able to solder it is quite an easy job to do.

JACUSTOMER-1tx6aauf- :

Thanks Carl, I can solder I will investigate the voltage regulator .

carlday1 :

Sometimes when I have changed the regulator I have known it to blow again within minutes but other times it has been fine. The only thing I have found that can make it blow is a damaged print head on one printer when I changed the regulator and the print head the printer carried on working.

When you start thinking about changing the print head it is often cheaper to look at a new printer.

JACUSTOMER-1tx6aauf- :

I had heard that printer head fails were expensive. I cleaned it in the hopes that would help. I assume that by damage we mean that the minute nozzles are blocked

carlday1 :

The regulator is available from Cricklewood electronics it is only a small transistor like reg.

JACUSTOMER-1tx6aauf- :

Thanks for that.

carlday1 :

I think it is more like a short on the head I have never investigated it to narrow it down.

carlday1 :

I would try the reg and see what happens it should only be a couple of pounds it might be cheaper on ebay. I am sorry I cannot remember the part number

carlday1 :

Thank you for the image. I would suggest checking the diodes with a meter. I have circled the regulator on the image for you.

carlday1 :

Full Size Image