Wes
Wes, Consultant
Experience:  Authorized HP Partner, 15+ years with printer support issues
63083622

I have a Selphy 520 (CP200) in which the ink cartridge has

Customer Question

I have a Selphy 520 (CP200) in which the ink cartridge has jammed. When I release the spring catch the cartridge jumps out a very small amount but then continues to be held and will not eject fully. I cannot remove it. Can you help please?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.

Wes :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. Please favorite or bookmark this page press CTRL+D, so you can return here if we get disconnected.

Wes :

When the cartridges on Selphy printers jam up, they can be a real problem to remove... sometimes requiring service. There should be a take-up spool you can turn... the right cylinder of the cartridge. Try turning it to make sure it's tight. If you can see foil coming out of the printer, you may need to pull all of that out to release the cartridge.

Wes :

If you still can't get the cartridge out, you may need to disassemble the printer to see what's jamming it up and remove the obstruction.

JACUSTOMER-62122bjh- :

Ok, Wes, I thought I might have to open the printer up. The only fixings I can see are three cross-head screws on the base of the unit. Can you advise what I will find when I undo them. I shudder to think of the springs and mechanics that may ping out all over the place. Can you advise please?

Wes :

I'm afraid I can't, however *most* printers don't explode parts all over the place when you take the outer case off. I've been trying to find some disassembly pictures/manual for you but I haven't been able to locate any. One thing you can do however is if it looks like the disassembly is going to get complicated is to have a digital camera ready and take pictures as you go. That is what I do anytime I take apart an unfamiliar device.

Wes :

Printers tend to be a lot of gears as opposed to a lot of springs.

JACUSTOMER-62122bjh- :

Ok, Wes. Thanks for that. I will have a go at dis-assembly. Wish me luck.

Wes :

Good luck, take lots of pictures if things start looking complicated. Also only go as deep as you absolutely have to go. What you will be looking for is any foil, paper, cellophane, etc that is sticking out of the cartridge. Since this is an empty or near-empty cartridge, you don't need to worry about the cartridge working after removal. So you may be able to carefully cut and remove any of these things that appear jammed up.

Wes :

let me know how it goes.

JACUSTOMER-62122bjh- :

Hi, Wes. I think I have gone as far as I can with this. On the base of the Selphy 520 there are four sunken screws, one in each corner. I Use a Phillips US No. 0 driver to remove them. Ignore the three larger cross-head screws for the moment,

Lift the top cover off to reveal an connecting lead between the miniature USB cassette and carefully unplug the small connector which attaches it to the printed board.

Now remove the three larger cross-head screws which will enable the plastic outer case to be removed.

Carefully unplug the fan connector. It just pulls apart.

JACUSTOMER-62122bjh- :

Next I did remove the three larger screws and was able to take the main outer plastic cover off. and then unplugged the fan connector. Next I loosened the printed board but was unable to disconnect it and therefore was unable to get full access to the mechanics housing the ink cassette. I can't see anything that might be holding the cassette in place. Any ideas?

Wes :

I'd need to see some pictures. Do you have any way to take some pictures and attach them to chat? You should see a paperclip icon which will let you attach pictures

Wes :

You also may want to see if there is another route into where you need to go. Not all panels on all devices are held on by screws. Sometimes they are snap on/snap off that can be released with a butterknife or finger nail.

JACUSTOMER-62122bjh- :

Ok. Give me a while to transfer them to my PC from my iPhone.

JACUSTOMER-62122bjh- :

Sorry about the delay. Herewith, three pictures which should give you some idea of what I am faced with.

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-62122bjh- :

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-62122bjh- :

Full Size Image

Wes :

can you get me a picture of the left and right sides?

Wes :

You may have to unscrew that board.

JACUSTOMER-62122bjh- :

I have actuall

Full Size Image
Full Size Image
unscrewed the board but unable to disconnect the ribbon cables.

Wes :

that's fine...

Wes :

do any of the gears on the one side turn? Can you see if you can wind up any material that might be in the cartridge?

Wes :

Good job in getting the main unit out of the case. The other thing I was wondering is on the side where the cartridge comes out, does it look like removing that black panel will get you any visibility into where the cartridge might be getting hung up?

JACUSTOMER-62122bjh- :

The two little gears on the right (front) and the large one at the top turn ok but all the others do not turn.

Wes :

We'll make a printer repair person out of you yet. :)

Wes :

I have two other picture requests... straight into where the paper comes out, and the underside (you may want to put those screws back into the board to hold it on. I don't blame you for not wanting to mess with the ribbon cable, those things are a pain.

Wes :

I will be back with you in a little bit

JACUSTOMER-62122bjh- :

Full Size Image
Full Size Image

Wes :

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

Wes :

Wes :

can you check the circled locations, in the picture it looks like there might be material jammed in there

Wes :

Any luck?

JACUSTOMER-62122bjh- :

It must have been reflections from the flash. Here is another shot:

JACUSTOMER-62122bjh- :

Full Size Image

Wes :

Okay, all I can say at this point is you're going to have to try to manipulate the cartridge and try to feel if there's something stuck... push it in, pull out, lift, twist, etc...

Wes :

otherwise see if removing that side panel would get you a better view of the paper path

JACUSTOMER-62122bjh- :

I cannot see how the end panel is secured. The screw arrowed at the bottom appears to be the only screw securing the black plastic end cover but removal does not release it. The other screw to the upper left does not hold the plastic but screws into the metal plate. There are not other visible screws that could be relevant.

JACUSTOMER-62122bjh- :

Full Size Image

Wes :

is there any way you can push the cartridge out from the other side?

JACUSTOMER-62122bjh- :

The gear plate at the other end has no holes or apertures. The cassette is not just stuck it is actually locked solid. When I release the brown spring loaded release catch the cassette springs out about a millimetre or two than stops dead in its tracks. It seems that something mechanical is actually locking it.

Wes :

I'm not sure what else I can tell you as far as getting it out of there without further disassembly

JACUSTOMER-62122bjh- :

Hi Wes. Can you be of any further assistance to me?

Wes :

I don't think so. I can opt out and see if another expert can help you further. There just isn't a lot of information out there on Canon's Dye-Sub.

Wes :

printers.

Wes :

If it were me, I'd continue tearing it down until I could see what's blocking it, but I know you said you were getting close to having torn down as far as you were comfortable.

Wes :

The other option of course is to get it into canon for service.

JACUSTOMER-62122bjh- :

Considering the price of a replacement, it would probably not be cost effective to send it to Canon or their agents. Thanks for your help such as it was.

Wes :

Remember your rating reflects on me personally, if you are interested in a refund you can request one [email protected] without providing a poor or bad rating.