VanMagnus Systems
VanMagnus Systems, Engineer
Experience:  I have more than 20 years of experience in the Printer Hardware and Software support. A+ certified.
16924516

Hi, I have a Canon MX450 Printer, when I install the printer

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Canon MX450 Printer, when I install the printer on my laptop it works perfect until I turn my laptop off. When I turn the laptop back on again it will not work it just says printer is off line, this happens when I use the USB cable or wireless. If I uninstall the printer and then install it again it works perfect until I switch the laptop off again. Can you please tell me how I can put this right, I am using windows 8 on a HP Pavilion g6 laptop.
Kind regards.
Terry
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Hello my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
If you restart the laptop then turn the printer itself on and off what happens?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The same it says printer off line

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
When you used usb did you just connect the cable instead of wifi or did you remove and restart then reinstall first?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I removed restart and reinstall

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Can you test it on a different computer for me? That will tell us if the printer itself or something on the computer is causing it not to communicate properly.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Freddy, if I use the printer on my desk top it works all the time it only stops working on my laptop, it works when first installed but once I turn my laptop off the next time I go to use the printer it does not work it says printer off line.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
I apologize but I need to opt out and open this to all experts.
.
Expert:  VanMagnus Systems replied 3 years ago.
Good Morning how are you today? I need to ask you a few questions so that I can better assist you Sir or Ma'am. Have you applied the latest update to your Windows OS??? This is a "New Printer" or and older one that you have had for some time???
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi XXXXX have the latest updates for my os and the printer is new, it has only been used a couple of times. When I first installed it, it worked all the time but I had to move the printer to another location that is when it stopped working as it used to. It did work if I put the USB cable in but not on wireless, but now it says printer off line no matter how I try to use it. The only time it will work is when I uninstall it shut the laptop down and then restart and the reinstall. It works 100% then until I shut the laptop down, then the next time I go to use it the printer says off line.

Ok, please check for the latest Windows Update. I will be back in 90 or less... must research something... Oh, are you using 8.1 or just Win 8???
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK I will check for windows update, and I am running windows 8

Thank you. I am still looking at a lead that I have on this issue... BRB in 60 minutes....
I am about to post the info that I found on your issue.
Please try the steps below:

Open services.msc

Scroll down to Print Spooler and double click on it

Click on Dependencies tab

Check what dependencies the print spooler has, if any

you may need to click "+" on those dependencies to see more dependencies

Go back to the Services list

On each of the spooler dependencies, double click on it

Make sure it is set to Automatic in the Startup Type drop down menu

Now click on Start to start the service

Click OK

Now, after the instructions above. Please reboot. Then get back to me with your results...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I have done all the above and again it worked 100% until I rebooted then it said printer off line and will not print

Ok, a quick question. Did it work after the initial reboot after making the changes above???
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No sir, it worked every time but when I rebooted it stoped working and said printer off line.

Give me a few minutes and I will post the next solution here..
You are running the 32 bit or the 64 bit of Windows 8???
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not sure I think the 32 bit

1. Open the Windows 8 Control Panel.

Tip: You can check your Windows 8 system type much faster from the Power User Menu but it's probably speedier that way only if you're using a keyboard or mouse. With that menu open, click or touch on System and then skip to Step 4.
  2. Touch or click on System and Security within Control Panel.

Note: You won't see a System and Security link in Control Panel if your view is set to either Large icons or Small icons. If so, find System and touch or click on it, then skip to Step 4.
  3. With the System and Security window now open, click or touch System.
  4. With the System applet now open, titled View basic information about your computer, find the System area, located under the large Windows 8 logo.

The System type will say either 64-bit Operating System or 32-bit Operating System.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi my system type is 64-bit

Ok, that makes a big difference....
Okay, please try these steps and reboot:

1. Ensure that the printer is turned on
  2. Ensure that the printer USB cable of the printer is pluged with computer
  3. Now if both of the above points are done, then please uncheck the tick mark of “use printer offline” option.
  4. Click on “Start” and then click on “Control Panel” then click on “Devices & Printers”.
  5. After that a printer & devices page will be opened then right click on your printer “Canon MX450” and choose “see whats printing” option.
  6. Then a small popup will be appeared in front of you now in this poup go to “files” menu and uncheck the option “use printer offline” then close all the window.
  7. Now open “my computer” and open this path “c:/windows/system32/spool/printers”, now please make it empty the folder “printers”, delete all the files if you see in printers folder. (*if any problem facing while deleting the file then restart the computer once then try to delete)
  8. That’s it now try to restart the computer once and restart the printer as well.

Even if Wireless Printer at the time this should work. If not connect the USB cable and try the above steps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Great this seems to have done it, I have done all the above and the printer worked so I shut the laptop down and rebooted it again and normally the printer would not work but this time it worked every time. Thank you for all your help but I think that this has solved the problem, thank you once again.

Best wishes

Terry

Please consider a Positive Rating for the Services Received...
VanMagnus Systems, Engineer
Experience: I have more than 20 years of experience in the Printer Hardware and Software support. A+ certified.
Thank you kindly for your Business.