Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

I have a Canon ix6550 printer and after a year of moderate

I have a Canon ix6550 printer and after a year of moderate use the printer will not power up. I have checked that the power supply to the printer is working but when you press the "On" switch nothing happens............what can I do ?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Hello my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Before we start I need to make sure you are aware it is possible that you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Freddy

I am still waiting on your response ?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
It seems you may have missed my reply so here it is again just in case:
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok Freddy

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok, you said you checked the power supply. What exactly did you check and how did you test it?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Freddy

I have another Canon printer that has the same power cord/supply to the printer. I tested the power cord from the Canon ix6650 with my other Canon printer and that worked fine.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok are both machines plugged into the same outlet?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have tested them both on separate outlets. both have been tested by plugging them into the mains supply. The ix6550 does not power on but my other Canon printer does, both using the same power supply cable.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Please try them both on the same outlet, preferably the one the working Canon is connected to even if the other works with other devices.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have tried this, my other Canon printer switches on but the Canon ix6550 does not.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok that is not a good sign, does it try to start at all or show any sign of power?
How old is the machine with the issue?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No sign of power and the machine is just over a year old.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
How close to a year is it? 12 months and a day for example? Did you happen to getan extended warranty with it?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No extended warranty and the machine was purchased 15 months ago.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Some machines in the UK have a 2 year factory warranty rather than the standard 1 year. I am not sure if yours does or not, to find out you would need to call this number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN0186 What you are describing indicates that the power supply unit on the main board has failed. In order to fix this the main board would need to be replaced. This can be expensive so I would call and try to get Canon to cover it, if they do they will usually send you a refurbished replacement machine. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated.
.