Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

My printer, XP-305, shoots the paper through without printing

Customer Question

My printer, XP-305, shoots the paper through without printing the check pattern
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Please tell me whether your printer suffered a period of disuse, and whether the check pattern you speak of is the one generated from the printer's own controls, or the one produced from the printer software on the computer.

Please also let me know what Windows version is on your computer (or what MAC OS X version, if you have an Apple computer). Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the printer is in constant use

the pattern should be produced from the computer software

the Windows version is XP

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
No answer after 2 hours
I'm sorry - I was offline unavoidably for a while.

Try this:

- with the printer On, disconnect it from the computer, then suddenly and sharply pull the plug on the power to the printer.
- leave it that way for 10+ minutes. Meanwhile, restart your computer.
- Plug the power (only) back in to the printer. Turn it On if necessary.
- Run a self-test print, or other self-generated print, from the printer without use of the computer. See if that comes out with ink on it.
- then connect the computer again, and send a simple print job from it. See if ink is on the paper now.

Let me know the results please. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

A negligible amount of ink has appeared when I tried to copy a page. This is what happened before I cleaned the print heads. Shall I just get a new printer? Incidently, it's connected by wi-fi.

This procedure is recommended for your printer's situation - it may cost a bit of ink, but rather less than a replacement printer, I hope - and it has often helped people out, in my experience:

In outline:
1. Clean the printhead.
2. Wait 1/2 hour to several hours or overnight, leaving the printer On but unused (no print jobs, etc.)
This allows waste ink to soak into the printhead and hopefully dissolve dried ink etc.
3. Clean the printhead a second time.
4. Wait again (as in step 2 above) for 1/2 hr. to several hrs., printer On but unused.
5. Clean the printhead a third time.
Then test whether ink is showing up to any greater extent at all in prints at this point. If it is, even faintly, then repeating this procedure will (eventually, at the cost of a certain amount of ink wasted in the process) clear up the clogged printhead.

After that fails, if it does fail, what you need to do is to decide whether replacing the printhead (which will cost something considerable, more than you would think usually) is better, given the printer's age, or whether it would be more preferable for you to replace the printer altogether with a new one (and hopefully recycle the old printer, always a good idea.)

So try the triple-cleaning-with-wait-times that I recommended, and get back to me if it doesn't work for you (so I can advise you further...)... or if it does help (- I always like to hear that something I recommended has worked!)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm afraid this routine has had no effect whatsoever so it looks like a new printer is called for. Are you allowed to recommend a reliable one - we don't ask much of it (if it used the same ink cartridges it would be helpful!).

I'm sorry to go down as one of your unsuccessful jobs but thank you very much for your advice.

Mrs. Remington, I appreciate your courtesy.

As for a new printer model that would use the same cartridges - if you have a stock of them put by, that would make good sense, in not wasting the considerable value of those already-obtained cartridges.

But please tell me what cartridges your current, defective, printer takes. (It makes my search somewhat easier, and surer.)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We currently use cartridges from ijtdirect and the codes on the boxes are 19870/1/2/3, suitable for XP - 30/102/205/305/405.
If they aren't numbered with Epson standard type-numbers, and are in fact not Epson-made, then just what it says on the package defines the compatibility, I guess. I have nothing to tell you about them that you haven't already told me:

Epson
XP-30
XP-102
XP-205
XP-305
XP-405

is the compatibility. Thanks.