Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

(Canon Pixma iP4300) (1) Photographs printed on A4: am getting

(Canon Pixma iP4300)

(1) Photographs printed on A4: am getting a green stripe.

(2) Photographs printed on glossy paper:the whole image wipes off. There is a greyish film over the whole, and it is very orange.
* Glossy side should be down, presumably. I tried it the 'wrong' way: colour was much better but still wipes off.

Could some of this be caused by faulty cyan cartridge?

Onscreen manual not helpful ...
Would be most grateful for help.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

(1) As for getting a green stripe - that could be a need to clean the printheads twice or thrice. Run printhead cleaning cycles from the 'Maintenance' section of your printer's driver facilities on your computer. (Do not do a manual cleaning, you could ruin the printhead.)

(2) If you are using the wrong paper, that could explain the ink 'wiping off'. Or you could be using the wrong ink! I advise not using 'compatible' inks nor refills.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much for all your help.

I do apologise for the delay in replying, and in sending feedback: I have been continuously busy until now.

1) Yes, you are right. At last I have learnt about cleaning (nozzles needed it too). I think one cartridge may have caused a problem.

2) I always use compatible inks, so there must be some other reason for the 'wiping off'.

The paper should have been OK. However, the Canon Selphy gloss paper and the Epson semi-gloss did not work - everything rubbed off. But the HP gloss paper was fine. This is a mystery, as the (excellent)specialist stationer assured me that all these papers would be perfectly OK for the Pixma printer.

May I just ask what paper you would recommend for the Pixma: the same paper for any Pixma model?

Also:

(a) 'Semi-gloss' not in the paper selection offered when printing; should I select 'gloss' or 'matt'? Maybe Canon doesn't do a semi-gloss paper.

(b) For gloss, should one choose 'Glossy photo paper' or 'Photo paper plus glossy' [or similar description]

3) Last question (I hope!).

A small amount is lost from one long side of the picture when printing, which spoils the composition. Any solution?

With many thanks (I will complete your rating when we finish!)

Anne W

As for photo paper, what is recommended on this page:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/pixma_ip_series/pixma_ip4300#SuppliesAndAccessories

is probably best. It seems to only have Glossy type photo paper.

Select 'Glossy' I think, if you are using Glossy. If you aren't, results aren't guaranteed.

Try using File - Print Preview before printing, to see if the part lost from one side is owing to page size limits or some such.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just writing to thank you very much for your advice.

I'll look into the 'cutting off' problem (it's only a tiny bit - not as much as a real size difference).

Most grateful

Best wishes

Anne W.

Thank you for consulting JustAnswer.com.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What information did you need from me, or are we all done now?

Bes

Anne W.

No more information needed, thank you, Anne. I have closed the question for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you again. I would like to be able to send a bonus, but can't really afford it on top of the £21 (I'm a pensioner ... !).

Anne