Richard, Engineer
Experience:  15 years consulting in the IT industry with Printing engineering
32989067

I HAVE A SAMSUNG 3185 PRINTER. ITHAS STOPPED PRINTING THE RED

I HAVE A SAMSUNG 3185 PRINTER. ITHAS STOPPED PRINTING THE RED LIGHT HAS COME ON AND IS ASKING ME TO PRPARE NEW IMAGE UNIT.PLEASE COULD YOU ADVISE ME WHAT THIS IS AND HOW DO I DOIT. I DID NOR HAVE ANY INSTRUCTIONS WHEN I PURCHASED SAME. THANK YOU JAN SKIPTON AWS PROPERTIES.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Remove the waste ink tank and wash it out with warm water. Make sure you get it totally dry and then put it back in and see if the message clears. There is a sensor in the machine that picks up even the slightest dust of toner so just wiping it out does not do it.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Where is the waste ink tank. There was no instructions etc with our initial purchase. many thanks

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Jan

Open the printer and you will see this unit

http://www.precisionroller.com/img/G0553.jpg

this is what you need to take out and empty and clean.

Let me know if you have any difficulties please
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can not see anything with this reference or near to it. I have tried to remov the other video type box at the bottom of the front incase this was it but it is hard to remove if it is. Where is it in the machine is it front back or top

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
It is at the front Jan

Flip the front cover toward you on its hinges so that it lays flat on the tabletop in front of your printer.

Grasp the handle on the L-shaped waste toner tank located to the left of the printer's four toner cartridge canisters. Pull the tank carefully straight out from the printer and place it so that it faces you standing like an upright "L" on the stacked paper or plastic bag.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Richard

I have washed the waste ink tank and washed in warm water,. I am presently drying it with electric blower ( not to near to unit )

When i washed it obviously all the black stuff which I presume is toner has come out. What do I do do i have to refill with anything and if so what make etc.

Many thanks Jan.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jan,

That Toner is the waste left over, so you don't want any toner in it at all.

If it is washed and cleaned, and now dry, put it back in the printer and tell me if the printer now works please.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Richard that was a nice quick reply. I have only had the electric blower on for about 5 mins about 1ft away from unit. Will this be sufficient time to leave it - nice and dry outside, but not sure about inside. Have the open area facing blower.

MANY THANKS

Jan

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
This will work Jan, just as long as it is dry, this is the main thing.

Then put it in and let me know if you still get the error please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Richard seems quite dry so I have tried 3 to 4 times but message keeps coming up replace/install waste toner tank. The door is quite shut so I must have put it back O K. Could thi message be coming up because it needs more drying.

Jan

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
No Jan, it confirms the problem with the printer.

The mainboard in the printer has failed, this is why you got the initial message and now this message.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the printer to have it replaced. It it will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

If the warranty has expired, you can ask for an offer for repairs from the place you purchased it from, but check this carefully as the cost of repair tends to exceed the value of the printer (so it is best to purchase a replacement printer)

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks Richard for all your help - excellant service.

Jan

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Your most welcome Jan, and it was a pleasure to work with you.

To make the rating, can you click on one of the Smiley faces below please and then click Submit?

Thank you Jan.

all the best.

Richard, Engineer
Experience: 15 years consulting in the IT industry with Printing engineering