Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

my mg3250 had a paper jam that i cleared - removed whole sheet.

Customer Question

my mg3250 had a paper jam that i cleared - removed whole sheet. now it continuously shows p02. tried pressing BLACK and COLOUR buttons, also RESET button, switching off then on, disconnecting/reconnecting power supply.
Also B indicator flashes continuously and (when i was able to print) my laptop would indicate INK RUNNING LOW even after both cartridges have been changed.
It's a cheap printer but surely it should work, at least in some shape or form???!!!
I've had it about 3 months, only used occasionally, many hours spent trying to make it work, only a few prints produced!! Should I just throw it away? Marcus.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.
Hi Marcus, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think you should not throw the printer away. At 3 months old, it is still within Canon's warranty (unless you have obviously mistreated it, or dropped it, or opened it up i.e. removed the case as opposed to opening the usual covers). Canon ought to repair it for you for free, if you contact them at 1-800-OK-CANON with proof of purchase date (e.g. sales slip or credit card records) at hand.

Incidentally, P 02 as an error means 'carraige error' or 'paper stuck middle' according to some sources. If there is nothing inside the carriage bay that could be blocking the printer, and no scraps of paper or other debris loose inside the printer, then you could have a broken printer.

But try a hard reset first:

- with the printer On, suddenly and sharply unplug the power from it. Disconnect it from the computer also.
- leave it that way for 10+ minutes.
- Plug it back in, but only to the power.
- Turn it On if necessary.
- Then see if it works.

After which if the P 02 error persists, contact Canon, as I have advised. You may have gotten a 'lemon', given that you say you have had much trouble getting it to work.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Russell,

Thanks for trying, although it didn't help much! Tried what you suggested but no luck!

Once again, thanks anyway.

Best wishes, Marcus.

Pleased to have attempted to be of use, and to have informed you of the warranty claim option for getting it repaired (or, perhaps, simply swapped - at Canon's disposition.)

Please feel welcome to ask another question, at any time, in any one of our numerous categories.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Russell,

After speaking with CANON, the error message was caused by dirt on the ENCODER FILM, a clear plastic strip located inside and across the paper feed, the solution being to clean it with a mild solution of detergent and then with plain water and then dry it. Cotton swabs (buds) are recommended for cleaning/drying. Care should be taken not to damage the film and not to allow detergent/water to drip when cleaning.

I hope this is helpful to you should you receive a similar enquiry in the future.

Best wishes, Marcus.

I did know about the encoder strip and how to clean it, but regrettably did not mention it in this case. Thanks for letting me know.