Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair
59725966

I have a Canon iP4200 which has worked well for several years,

I have a Canon iP4200 which has worked well for several years, but it has stopped working. The orange error light blinks 5 times, which means (according to manual) that the printer head is "not installed properly" so you should install re-install it. I took it out and reinstalled it carefully, but no change. Do I need to deep clean it or get a new one?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 years ago.

Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. We’ll get started chatting here. I am also sending you an offer so you can reach me directly me by phone if preferred. Feel free to ignore it for now, it will be available to you at any time if you need to get more help after our chat.

Customer:

OK. Do you need any more info?

Nathan :

No, thank you. I was just waiting for you to come online.

Nathan :

The issue is most likely a bad print head (or the logic board that controls it),

Nathan :

what you can try is to remove the printhead (lift the little lever next to it, after removing cartridges) and the head will lift out

Nathan :

you can then clean the metal electrical contacts/pins on the back, as well as where it mates up inside the printer carriage. Do this using ear buds and warm distilled water or surgical spirits.

Nathan :

Dry well, then reseat the head and cartridges

Nathan :

Then reset the machine by unplugging power at the mains for 5 minutes

Nathan :

If that does not help, then the head is most likely bad.

Nathan :

You could replace it, but it probably isn't worth it at this point for a 9 year old printer, which is already over twice it's expected useful life. You'd spend about $125 on a new head just for the part, which is enough to replace the printer entirely with a new all in one model with current technology and a fresh warranty

Customer:

Thanks, Nathan. Doesn't seem to have worked. So, I guess I'll just have to put hand in pocket and get a new one! Thanks.