Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

My new pixma MG6450 will not duplex print on A5 paper. How

Customer Question

My new pixma MG6450 will not duplex print on A5 paper. How can I make it do so?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

What type of computer do you have, a Windows PC, or an Apple computer?

Also, what version of Windows (or MAC OS X) do you have on the computer you are printing from?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Russell

Thank you for your reply.,

I'm rather old (92), so maybe a bit stupid. .Please forgive my question. I use a PC with Widows 7. My new printer does so much more than I am used to and has me a bit baffled

Peter

Thank you for the information Peter. I will always make allowance for any customer's need to ask a question.

"Unchecking the Automatic tab of the printer driver" must have baffled you, for it sure requires some translation even for me.

Unchecking: locating a checkbox control, one that is checked, and clicking on it with the mouse, once, to un-check it... then saving the setting.

Automatic tab: a tab labeled with the word 'Automatic'... or perhaps it isn't a tab, this doesn't sound quite right.

the printer driver: go to
Start - Control Panel - Devices and Printers
and right-click (with the right-hand mouse button) on the icon there for your Canon printer. Then select Properties from the strip menu that will appear, and see if there is an Automatic tab (or perhaps an option for Automatic Duplex that is selected there.) And then click upon OK, until the Properties sheet(s) close, to save the changed setting.

Does that help? if you are puzzled at any point, stop and let me know. Thanks.

If the above is found, but doesn't work to make A5 duplex printing possible, let me know where the failure manifests itself, or what the error message is exactly and in full, please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Russell

Thank you for your answer, but I'm afraid that it didn't work.

I right-clicked the MG6400 series icon which gave a menu, on which the Properties item listed the main headings of what the printer will do.

The Printer Properties item yielded a 'Features' list that included Double-Sided ... Yes and Paper available alongside a space for a list to fill in entries. Only A4 was listed. But I found no way of adding another entry.

. For everyday printing, A5 is available as a paper size.

The error message I have been getting when trying to start an A5 duplex print is

"A paper size that is not supported by the automatic duplex printing function is selected.

Stop printing, uncheck Automatic on the Page Setup tab of the Printer Driver, then print again."

The wording of this error message implies clearly that it will do duplex on other paper sizes if only you know how to ask it to do so. My previous printer was an MG6150 and it did this without this fuss.

Russell, your help is really appreciated.

Sincerely

Peter L-S

OK. Page Setup is what that message instructs you to uncheck Automatic on.

Page Setup is to be found in most Windows programs at

File - Page Setup

or at Alt-F followed by U... in the menuing system.

Try looking there, in Page Setup, for an Automatic (or Automatic Duplexing, or Auto Duplex) option, and un-checking it or un-selecting it, before sending an A5 duplex print job.

There is some difference between Automatic Duplex and ... something-or-other Duplexing.

Try it, let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Russell

I'm afraid I,m causing you a lot of bother, but I'm not any further.

I've been using computers for best part of 20 years, but I don't recall using a programme with a 'Page Setup' that made any mention of Automatic.

Perhaps my stuff of out of date. For what I want to print I am using Serif PagePlus X3 and Microsoft Word 2000. For each of these there is the usual 'File / Page Setup'. . Should I lash out and buy some more up to date software? -- or maybe a different printer?

I do have an old HP printer that will do duplex, but it has a habit of chewing up A5 paper so I can't use it for that size. Very tedious.!

Thank you, Russell, for your patience.

Sincerely

Peter

It's not the age of your software.

Page Setup is standard and doesn't vary much. If 'Automatic' isn't there, then you needn't worry about updating software or anything like that.

I don't know what else to suggest, so I have Opted Out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, Russell. I expect I'll sort something out -- don't worry.

Sincerely

Peter L-S

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, Russell. I'll think of something -- don't worry.

Sincerely

Peter L-S

I hope so, Peter. Good luck.