Viet - Printer Tech
Viet - Printer Tech, Technician
Experience:  Troubleshoot printers, scanners, etc.
30037186

My Mac cannot "see" my MG5350 printer any more.! I tried resetting

My Mac cannot "see" my MG5350 printer any more.! I tried resetting the wireless connection but, the Mac cannot "see" any printer.
Help.!
Category: Printers
Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 2 years ago.

Viet - Printer Tech :

Hello! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed printer / computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

Viet - Printer Tech :

I'm sorry about the issue. Can you please make sure you have tried all the followings:

Viet - Printer Tech :

1. Disconnect the power cord(s) from your internet/wireless modem/router device(s) for about 5 minutes, then reconnect.

Viet - Printer Tech :

2. Turn off the printer, then disconnect the power cord from the printer for a couple of minutes. Then reconnect it, then turn it back on.

Customer:

Yes, I have tried all the obvious on-off actions.

Viet - Printer Tech :

Sorry, I just want to confirm. Here are the next steps.

Viet - Printer Tech :

3. On the printer's screen, press Home button, then go to the WLAN Setup (wireless) option, and connect it to your wireless network name. Please click on the website below for full instructions/illustrations:
http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/PIXMA_Printer_Wireless_Connection_Setup/MG5440_Printer_Wireless_Connection_Setup/index.aspx
; there, click on Standard Connection Method , then follow the steps there.
(the instructions show a different model, but the steps should be similar.)

Viet - Printer Tech :

4. Only if you are able to connect the printer to your wireless network name successfully, then continue the next steps below:

1. Click on the Apple logo / menu at the top left, then select System Preferences..., then open Print & Fax.

2. Select the Canon... printer if it's there, then click on the - (minus) icon at the bottom left, and remove/delete the printer for now.

3. Click on the + (plus) icon at the bottom left, and it should see your canon print, then add it and check.

Viet - Printer Tech :

Let me know if you are stuck at any step for the instructions of connecting the printer to your wireless network name.

Customer:

I got as far as step 8 on the set up but the printer failed to connect to the access point.

Viet - Printer Tech :

Can you please let me know the exact failed error or message?

Customer:

Unfortunately, I have to leave the computer to attend a full day meeting - how can I reconnect with you to complete this problem.?

Viet - Printer Tech :

Do you know your exact wireless /security password/key/passphrase (it is case-sensitive)?

Viet - Printer Tech :

No problem, you can get back to me later at this web page via the email message from Viet / JustAnswer.

Customer:

"Failed to connect to the access point. Check the access point settings and try again" What time do you finish work.?

Viet - Printer Tech :

I have to wrap up soon. I will be available from about 10 hours from now.

Viet - Printer Tech :

I'm in USA time, what's your time right now?

Viet - Printer Tech :

We can also continue tomorrow at this similar time if you'd like to.

Customer:

I have both an Wireless Key and a Hub Admin Password XXXXX my router - I have tried the access point again with both codes, still the same failed message. I am in the UK and the time is 09:30 - I can be back on-line around 19:00 this evening (UK Time)

Viet - Printer Tech :

OK, see you then. At that time, you can click on the link in the email message from Viet / JustAnswer in order to get back to me via this web page.

Viet - Printer Tech :

At that time, I can connect remotely to your computer and check on the hub / router's settings. Please reply at this web page when you are back. Thank you,

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX you later

Viet - Printer Tech :

You're welcome. See you later. Thank you,

Viet - Printer Tech :

By the way, disconnect/reconnect power cords from modem/router device(s) and printer again please. Also, wireless key is case-sensitive.

Viet - Printer Tech :

What's the brand/model of your Internet/wireless modem/router device?

Viet - Printer Tech :

Let me know if you are there now. Thank you,

Customer:

Sorry for the delay, the day just got longer and longer.! The router is a BT Home Hub 3

Viet - Printer Tech :

that's okay, can we do a remote session, so I can adjust the router's settings for you?

Customer:

I have disconnected and reconnected the power to the printer. I did the same to the router this morning - if I do it again now, how do we converse.?

Viet - Printer Tech :

keep this web page open

Customer:

Sorry, I'm confused ... I understand that for us to converse we need to keep the web page open. My problem is, if I disconnect the router, I will lose the page for several minutes while the router restarts. Do you still want me to disconnect and reconnect power to the router.?

Viet - Printer Tech :

yes, after reconnecting the router, we can continue to chat in a minute or so

Customer:

OK, disconnecting now ...

Viet - Printer Tech :

ok thanks

Customer:

OK, I'm back

Viet - Printer Tech :

u still cannot connect the printer to your bt hub?

Customer:

I'll try again now.

Viet - Printer Tech :

ok

Customer:

Printer is connected to the Access Point

Viet - Printer Tech :

great, now go to system preferences, print...., then remove any canon printer there

Viet - Printer Tech :

then add it

Viet - Printer Tech :

Customer:

OK, printer has been added and the Print & Fax window is showing the MG5300 Series as "Idle, default" with a green light

Viet - Printer Tech :

great, now, test printing something you want to confirm

Customer:

Houston, we have "lift off"..!!

Viet - Printer Tech :

great, thank you for your patience.

Viet - Printer Tech :

Do you have any further question for now?

Customer:

I think the patience was on your side, I was just desperate. Where are you in the US.?

Viet - Printer Tech :

Yes, I'm in the US.

Viet - Printer Tech :

California

Customer:

Where exactly....city, state..?

Viet - Printer Tech :

Santa Clara, California

Customer:

I've been there, once. I have a couple of cousins in that area (200 mile radius that is) - Modesto, and I've worked for a couple of US semiconductor companies in the valley - LSI Logic, VLSI Technology and then overv the last 10 years or so worked for a UK rep company covering some specialist microwave device outfits around there.

Viet - Printer Tech :

Do you need anything else for now?

Customer:

No thanks - expect an excellent rating.!! Good night and thanks again.

Viet - Printer Tech :

oh I see

Viet - Printer Tech :

You're welcome. If you need anything else later, please let me know any time. Also, can you please take a moment to rate my service by clicking on a face icon / service option below, then click on Submit / OK when it shows up. Good night! Thank you,

Viet - Printer Tech, Technician
Experience: Troubleshoot printers, scanners, etc.