Michelle
Michelle, Printer Expert
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

Hi I have a hp photosmart 8750 pro and my operating system

Customer Question

I have a hp photosmart 8750 pro and my operating system is maverick 10.9 on imac, could you tell me whether it is possible to access the print driver to use only the black ink cartridge to produce photo quality prints. As far as I can see the driver will only let me use the black cartridge on fast draft printing, it was never a problem performing this when I was using windows 7
Thanking you in advance
Dave
Category: Printers
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.

Michelle :

Hi, My name is Michelle and i will be assisting you

Michelle :

please try the below steps...when attempting a print...From the print dialog, click the Presets drop-down menu and select Plain Paper, Fast Draft, black and white.

Michelle :

save setting and check if you get a black print or not

Michelle :

depending on the driver you use, you may check....

For the Airprint driver, there is a checkbox for Black and White printing when you go to File/Print, For the HP driver, the option is in the PaperType/Quality tab. You'll see "color options" with a little arrrow next to it. Click on that arrow and select the color options you want to use.

Michelle :

let me know how it goes

JACUSTOMER-76wtl9pv- : Thanks for that, yeh I get a fast draft b/ w print, how do I access the air print driver, I am using photoshop cc
Michelle :

ok let me check on that..give me a moment here

Michelle :

try the below

Michelle :

In Photoshop, choose Print. Select the Printer of your choice and number of copies. Select No Color Management. Click Print.

Michelle :

and once it opens the printer dialog box, ensure that if there is any option for color management its set to blacka nd white or black only

Michelle :

try this and let me know

JACUSTOMER-76wtl9pv- : In colour management box I only have 2 options, which are printer manages colours and photoshop manages colour there is also something called separations which is greyed out
Michelle :

if you select photoshop manages colors

Michelle :

check what options come under it

Michelle :

let me know

JACUSTOMER-76wtl9pv- : All of the ICc profiles none of which mention using the black cartridge only
Michelle :

ok let me check

Michelle :

one moment please

Michelle :

do see an option for grayscale

Michelle :

at timesblack onky option isunder grayscale

JACUSTOMER-76wtl9pv- : No, yeh I'm familiar with greyscale, I have been using this printer for about 8 yrs producing high quality mono prints, this has always been on a windows operating system but haven't done it since switching to imac
Michelle :

so its only with photoshop when printing photos that you are unable to use bLACK CART ONLY

JACUSTOMER-76wtl9pv- : There are many profile options but all of them use the tri colour cartridge, hp produce a grey cartridge which sits in the black cartridge slot
JACUSTOMER-76wtl9pv- : I haven't tried through any other application, will try now
Michelle :

sure please try and let me know so that we have a correct understanding whether its a photoshop settings issue or printer settings issue

JACUSTOMER-76wtl9pv- : Ok, if I print from safari I get a best quality print if I'm printing from photoshop the dialogue box doesn't give me the same options
Michelle :

so the problem is that its only in photoshop that you are unable to get the black only option

Michelle :

rest of the things let you print black fine

JACUSTOMER-76wtl9pv- : Yes it seems that way
Michelle :

ok.. i am checking for some advanced settings

Michelle :

would take me around 2 mins here

Michelle :

please bear with me

JACUSTOMER-76wtl9pv- : Ok
Michelle :

thanks

Michelle :

have you tried this

Michelle :

when you open the print dialog depending on the application there may be a link at the bottom left for the system print dialog. Here you should see a preset option. There is a fast draft black ink only preset. Save that preset and it should become the default option.

JACUSTOMER-76wtl9pv- : No
Michelle :

please try the above option and let me know if it helps

JACUSTOMER-76wtl9pv- : I think I'd like you to explain in steps as this is what I'm doing in photoshop
Michelle :

have you turned off color management in the printer driver settings

JACUSTOMER-76wtl9pv- : File - print - in print settings - select a pre-set of plain paper, fast draft, black and white - paper type/quality - premium photo paper - quality best. I click save which prints out a colour picture. If I go back into the print settings, that setting has not been saved and I still get a colour picture.
Michelle :

on imac can you open the printer preferences window

JACUSTOMER-76wtl9pv- : We think we are the case as I am getting the correct print using printer manages colours, please could you explain how to title and save a pre-set
Michelle :

this give a much more clear insight into the issue

Michelle :

as per my understanding, once we save a preset\printer manages color option, that works for almost all applications. however if we use photoshop color management, it creates a conflict as printer has its own color managemnet utility

Michelle :

if we disable printers color management then it affects rest all other applications

Michelle :

give me a minute here

Michelle :

let me check with my resources

Michelle :

if there is anything to be added on

Michelle :

thanks for your patience

Michelle :

can you let me know the cs version of photoshop

JACUSTOMER-76wtl9pv- : Photoshop creative cloud (cc)
Michelle :

ok..while i was wiating for you i came to find an extensive document for photoshop print settings

Michelle :

give me a minute here while i check it for the exact workaround for issue you are facing

JACUSTOMER-76wtl9pv- : No worries thank you for your help, I am going off line now.
Michelle :

i will share the document link with you

Michelle :

as i did a review its an issue of colr management being handled differently in mac

Michelle :

if you select photoshop manages colr..then in the print dialogs..if you select color to off-no color management then a black and white option comes up

Michelle :

i will give the link below

Michelle :

you may review this as its an issue with the photoshop print settings that you need to workaround

Michelle :

the link i ahve shared has each setting explained for windows and mac

Michelle :

hope this helps

JACUSTOMER-76wtl9pv- : Ok many thanks for your help.
Michelle :

thanks for your understanding

Michelle :

feel free to ask in case you need any help from my side

Michelle :

thanks for choosing just answer

Michelle :

if you are satisfied with my support and effort you may click on a smiley below