Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

I have attached my Canon MP610 to my MacBook Pro using a USB/printer

Customer Question

I have attached my Canon MP610 to my MacBook Pro using a USB/printer cable. When I try to print things off using Text Edit, Mach Write the printer head is moving quickly during printing and the text although printed in correct order and location on the page, is just about legible but very grainy, with possibly on all the words on a line a fraction on a mm line of a gap in printing occurs. I have reinstalled the drivers for printing and scanning from the Canon website, after deleting the original programs, but the problem still persists, identical to how it was before. Can you tell me how to set things up will the computer and printer to get presentable text? Thank you.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Before we start I need to make sure you understand it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this, this is not a software error or reinstalling would have fixed it.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
Some people prefer to cancel when they find out they may need a new part, if you want to do that reply with cancel, if you want to continue knowing you may need a new part let me know you want to continue.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

2nd time of sending this.

Can you please continue with work, can you please email if the total cost of answer is going to exceed the agreed £15 figure. Thanks

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
I have no control over billing and the first time your response must not have come through so thank you for posting it again. The first thing we want to do is try manually cleaning the machine and see if that helps:

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi again, done all cleaning but the missing fraction of mm lines of missing print in the letters of words are exactly in the same position as before.

If you can let me know what next to try, I will have a go tomorrow morning.

( I could post printed sheet if best to see it in front of you).

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Take all the time you need, next we will want to remove the print head and do a manual deep cleaning.
This video explains how to do that: Click Here You can dry it with a lint free cloth instead of waiting, do not use paper towels as lint can clog the nozzles.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.