Viet - Printer Tech
Viet - Printer Tech, Technician
Experience:  Troubleshoot printers, scanners, etc.
30037186

Using Pixma MG6350. When attempting to scan to PC am told

Customer Question

Using Pixma MG6350. When attempting to scan to PC am told I need WIA driver. Worked OK a while ago and I haven't installed or removed any files. The only change I can recall is activating the wireless connection, although it is still attached by USB to the PC.

Advice please...
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
What version of windows are you using?
What is the exact and entire error message?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Windows 7. When trying to scan: "You need a WIA driver to use this device. Please install it from the installation CD or the manufacturer's website and try again."

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Click on start and type in services.msc into the search then press enter.
A window will open up with a list of services in it.

Find these and double click on them.
After double clicking next to startup type change all of them to say automatic.

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
DCOM Server Process Launcher
RPC Endpoint Mapper
Shell Hardware Detection
Windows Image Acquisition

Once you have done that restart the computer.
You can get back to me by going to justanswer.com and clicking on my questions at the top of the page.

After restarting try to scan something, then come back to this page and let me know what happened.
If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Tried that. All the settings were already on automatic. restarted PC, attempted scan, same message received.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Please check all of them for me now, do they all say started next to service status?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

All started except Windows Image Acquisition. It is set at automatic but not marked as started.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Click start in that window to start it yourself, does it give you an error?
If it starts properly can you scan now?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I set it to started without any error message, but attempting to scan still gives same message.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Click on the windows start button and in the search box type printers and press enter.
(if there is not search box click on control panel and then printers)

Right click on your machine and any copies of it and click on delete.
Then disconnect the cable connecting it to the computer.
(if using a cable if not skip any cable steps)

You will need to restart the computer, you can get back to me by going to justanswer.com and clicking on my questions at the top of the page.
Restart the computer and reinstall the printer.

Only connect the usb cable when the computers asks you to or when the installation is finished.
Do not test the machine yet instead restart the computer again and then test it.

.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I got the machine up in Control Panel. Right click did not give the usual option of "remove device". Instead there was an option "Troubleshoot". Tried that but got the result "Troubleshooter couldn't identify the problem".

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Click on it so it is highlighted, then you should be able to see remove device at the top.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nope. The only top line options are Add Device, Add Printer, Troubleshoot. Other devices I've got do show the usual list.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok skip that part then and do the rest of the steps including both restarts.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Done that. Re-installed from cd. Two restarts but same problem persists. Looked at WIA in the services list and it is marked as automatic and that it has started.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Try installing these instead: Click Here
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Downloaded that and installed it. Did a restart but no change. Using the Canon Quick Print menu produces a message "Cannot communicate with scanner....code 5,156,61

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
I apologize but I am out of ideas so I will opt out and open this to all experts.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your patience. I shall be away from the screen for an hour or so...need to eat.

Expert:  A. Stevens replied 2 years ago.
Hi - I would like to help with your scanning issue. Please let me know when you return!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Mr Stevens, I'm back!

Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 2 years ago.

Hello! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed printer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. Are you still able to print?

Can we do a remote session, so we can chat, and I will be able to help you directly?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Viet,

Sorry for the long delay in replying - I was called away. To answer your question, no, I cannot print. When attempting to access the printer on the PC it will not do so as it says it needs "troubleshooting". The printer itself is working, I can copy/print perfectly. I have, since we communicated, completely uninstalled the printer drivers, etc and re-installed them from the original CD and re-booted the PC. Still no change.

That's okay. Can we do a remote session, so we can chat, and I will be able to help you directly?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, what now?

Please click on the website below, then click on Join session, then allow the Elsinore / ScreenConnect remote program to run:

http://166.78.231.170:8040/?Session=00dcd0cd-61b0-4223-b0ac-ec6243e1e7eb

Note: If it does not connect within 5 minutes, then please reply at the box below and let me know. Thank you

When you have time, please do the following:

1. Make sure your hotmail email password ***** at the website http://hotmail.com/

2. Back up your data:
- Click on Start, then click on your use name, then back up these folders to a USB drive:
Documents
Desktop
Favorites
Pictures
Videos

3. Next, reinstall windows / restore factory; video instructions:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4ECjkiGFYM

1. Turn off your computer.
  2. Disconnect everything but the monitor, keyboard and mouse. This includes your:
    • scanner
    • printer
    • modem or network cables
    • mobile phone and tablet
    • USB flash drive or other external hard drive
  3. If your laptop is docked, remove it from the docking station.
  4. When the Dell logo appears, press key F8 several times to open the Advanced Boot Options menu.
    Note: If the Advanced Boot Options menu doesn't open, wait for the Windows login prompt. Then restart the computer and try again.
  5. Use the Arrow keys to select Repair Your Computer and then press Enter.
  6. On the System Recovery Options menu, select a keyboard layout and click Next.
  7. To access the recovery options, log in as an administrator and click OK o open the Dell Factory Image Restore menu.
  8. Depending on your configuration, you may need to select Dell Factory Tools and then Dell Factory Image Restore.
  9. Click Next to open the Confirm Data Deletion menu.
  10. Select the Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition check box and click Next.
    Note: The restore process begins and may take five or more minutes to complete. A message appears when the operating system and factory-installed applications have been restored to factory condition.
  11. After the restore operation is complete, click Finish to restart the computer.
  12. Restore any data or programs you want from back up files.

Then reply back to me to continue. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have tried following your step-by-step guide. Got as far as step 7, logged in OK but the screen that opens does not contain the options as you describe them. The options are as below:

System Recovery Options

Choose a recovery tool:

Startup repair

(Automatically fix problems that are preventing Windows from starting)

System Restore

(Restore Windows to an earlier point in time)

System Image Recovery

(Recover your computer using a system image you created earlier)

Windows memory Diagnostic

(Check your computer for memory hardware errors)

Command Prompt

(Open a command prompt window)

Dell DataSafe Restore and emergency backup

(Restore your computer, including factory state)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

response pasted below

Can you select Dell DataSafe Restore and emergency backup

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Will do.

OK, thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Viet, The force is not with us. Tried twice. The menu enforces an emergency backup but soon after it begins it stops with the message, "The instruction 0x03a4c2e3 referenced memory at 0xe0731038. The memory could not be written. Click OK to terminate program.

I'm sorry, did you back up your files, that you need to keep, manually to a USB drive yet?

Have you tried the Restore option in Dell DataSafe, not backup option?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have backed up manually to a USB drive. The System Restore option will presumably go back to a restore point - but which one and how far back?

You can try restoring to the date/point before this issue first occur.

But what I meant in my last reply is that when you select Dell DataSafe Restore and emergency backup (Restore your computer, including factory state), did it give you both restore and backup option? Can you try restore option there? And/or what are all the options?

And/or do you have the windows disk or recovery/restore disk?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't believe it offers restore without backup, the only options are an automatic backup or an option to choose a destination drive for the backup.

You can try again and check as we do not need backup. And/or do you have the windows 7 disk or recovery/restore disk?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'll try again and see what the options are. I no longer have the Windows 7 disk, it was "lost" in a house move.

OK.

Edit: Please let me know if you still need help with this. Thank you,