Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair
59725966

My HP Officejet 6500A plus printer has developed a fault.

My HP Officejet 6500A plus printer has developed a fault. The black ink cartridge is not working. I have changed two 2 new cartridges and the problem still persists. Please advise what I should do to resolve this problem? my email address is: *****@******.***
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 years ago.

Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Nathan :

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. We’ll get started chatting here. I am also sending you an offer so you can reach me directly me by phone if preferred. Feel free to ignore it for now, it will be available to you at any time if you need to get more help after our chat.

Nathan :

When you say it has developed a fault, do you mean you get some type of error message, like "wrong cartridge type", "cartridge not recognized", etc? Or do you mean that it goes through the motions of printing/copying (at least in black mode) but outputs a blank page?

Nathan :

If the latter, these symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head.

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function, if it doesn’t work try it a second time. If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning.

Nathan :

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix. Considering that this is a 3 year old printer, it is already at the end of its service life, so a hardware failure the most likely outcome. That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Customer:

Hi Nathan, that problem is that it goes through the motions of printing/copying (at least in black mode) but outputs a blank page.f the latter, these symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head.

Customer:

Hello Nathan, it goes through the motions of printing/copying (at least in black mode) but outputs a blank page.

I cannot locate the setup/maintenance menu as you've suggested. Kindly advise where exactly is it?

Customer:

Nathan :

Hello, sorry I missed you earlier,

Nathan :

To clean the head, you'll go to the SETUP menu (icon appears as a gear and wrench/spanner)

Nathan :

arrow down to TOOLS

Nathan :

then Clean Printhead

Customer:

I cannot locate the SETUP menu as you've directed.

Nathan :

It should be there, can you tell me what you do see?

Nathan :

It should be to the upper right portion of the control panel/display

Customer:

Hi Nathan, to the upper right there is, backup and store, desktop gadgets, flash player, index options, colour management, device manager, folder options, internet options.

Nathan :

Are you on the printer?

Nathan :

This is done from the PRINTER control panel, the touch screen on the front of the printer itself, not on your computer.

Customer:

Thank you very much Nathan. We finally got there.