Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

My Canon Pixma MP800 is refusing to print most colours and

My Canon Pixma MP800 is refusing to print most colours and instead barely shows anything at all un less I choose to print in Grayscale (black and white). This is despite numerous deep nozzle cleans and cartridge changes. I have hardly ever used it over the years so it cannot possibly need new parts. Does it need a service or is there something I can do? How do you service it? Please help?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is very possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this, whether it was used frequently or not does not change that.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.

Have you tried cleaning it manually by hand yet?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Freddy, strangely I received this notification that you hadn't heard a response from me but no such notification for your actual answer though. No I haven't cleaned anything by hand yet. Actually, I think I cleaned the print head a couple of years ago though but I cannot remember how or whether this might help now

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.

.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

O.K. I'll give this a go and get back to you

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Take all the time you need and let me know the results when you can.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Freddy,

I did what you suggested with good and bad news. The good news is that there was a great better difference in the printing of colour printing from documents. The not so good news is that the quality of photograph printing is terrible - it looks like a 1960s quality photograph that has been left in the sun too long

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok next we will want to remove the print head and do a manual deep cleaning.
This video explains how to do that: Click Here You can dry it with a lint free cloth instead of waiting, do not use paper towels as lint can clog the nozzles.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

O.K. will do

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Take your time.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I thoroughly washed the print head yesterday but there may be some residual water still in its innermost parts so I am going to leave it in the sun rays for another day to make sure it's dried and then replace and get back to you. Thanks again

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
We can actually force anything that is still in it out by using a built in cleaning now.
This page shows how to do it in windows: Click Here This one on a Mac: Click Here

If the same thing happens the next step would be to try a print head cleaning kit like this one: Click Here It says Brother but it works with all brands as all kits come with the same thing. It comes with solution that dissolves dried ink that may be on the sensors or in the ink line a syringe and instructions. If this still does not work it is it means the print head has failed. In order to fix this the print head inside the printer needs to be replaced.

I really hate to have to tell you this but after the troubleshooting we have done if the problem is still there I am sorry to say you indeed are going to require a new part. I know this is not what you want to here but I want to make sure I am honest with the information I provide you. You would need to replace the print head in order to fix this issue.

I wish there was another way but with everything you have posted I am confident this is the problem with your machine. The reason for this is he print head is the part of the printer that puts ink from the cartridges onto the page. Over time these parts deteriorate and need to be replaced.

A new print head normally costs between £50 and £70. It would take about 30 minutes to an hour for a tech to replace it at their shop rate. Most Shops charge between £55 and £75 per hour though you could probably do it yourself. You can get the part from here: Click Here In case you would like to look for it somewhere else the part number is *****

Due to the price some people do decide to replace the machine if it is more than a year old if you decide to go that route I would be happy to help you find a replacement. If this machine is under a year old Canon will normally cover the part under warranty. If you have any questions or need any help following these steps click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please consider leaving a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated.
.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Freddy,

thanks for these tips. I've tried cleaning it twice and deep cleaning it twice but still get a sub-standard nozzle check. As a last ditch effort I shall leave it 24 hours before giving it ONE LAST deep clean (as your link suggested this might give time for any prev.dried ink to dissolve). If this is all still to no avail, I might try this print head cleaning kit you mention. This sound like quite an involved job and am wondering whether I have to take other parts out as I don't see an ink line etc. Anyway I'll keep you posted

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.

.
You do not need to take anything out, on your machine it is built into the print head. However if the same thing still happens it means the print head needs to be replaced which you can get from here: : Click Here In case you would like to look for it somewhere else the part number is *****

Due to the price some people do decide to replace the machine if it is more than a year old if you decide to go that route I would be happy to help you find a replacement.If this machine is under a year old Canon will normally cover the part under warranty. If you have any questions or need any help following these steps click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please consider leaving a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Freddy, just to let you know I have rated you as a good service but I am still continually being asked to rate you for some reason. When I tried to do it again, bizzarely I get told I have to pay a fee to rate you again as a bonus. I hope you got my rating.

Seb

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
I did get it and I apologize for that it must be a bug I will let those above me know.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Much obliged. Thanks again