Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

I have a Canon Pixma MX850. Best printer /scanner I have ever

Customer Question

I have a Canon Pixma MX850. Best printer /scanner I have ever had. My fault, ink ran out on one of the colours and I took my time changing it and when I did I got an error message saying 'incorrect print head'. This later progressed to error message 'B200' Error Code. Having googled this it sounds like a common problem but having tried various recommendations none of which has worked to clear the error message, my ink tray which use to move to the middle when printer opened doesn't any more since I have been trying all the recommendations. All the advice suggest buying a new print head which is about £80. I am happy to do this if it fixes it as to replace printer is over £300 but my new concern now that the ink tray with printer heads isn't moving out by itself is could there be something else now wrong. I don't want to spend £80 and find after fitting the new part that there is still a problem and waste £80. Because now to remove the print head I have to manually slide the ink tray out from under the right corner and the inks don't light up like they use to. Can you advise your thoughts please. Natasha
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
On your model B200 can be a print head issue but can also be the logic board, it is much more commonly the logic board.
Have you already manually deep cleaned the print head removing it? That would allow us to rule it out.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As explained I don't have any alcohol or proper cleaners. All I have tried is cotton buds and water. I am scared that with my tampering if I could now have damaged something else because when error first presented itself, the ink tray was still lit and would move out by itself as it should when the cover was lifted but since trying various recommendations found on line it doesn't do this any more.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.

.
Unfortunately then we can already rule out the print head, I really hate to tell you this but in order to fix this you would need to replace the logic board. It is similar to a motherboard in a computer and is what allows all the parts to work and communicate inside the machine. If it were just the print head it would not have stopped the carriage from moving.

I understand you have been going to other websites that may have said it was the print head but here is the service manual so you can confirm what I have told you: Click Here (page 6 under 2-2) If you were to replace the print head you would be stuck with the same error, it can also be the carriage unit but that is unlikely since it was working while you already had the error though both parts (board and carriage unit) do often fail at the same time.

The part number is ***** 3438 000, you can get it from here: Click Here Due to the price some people do decide to replace the machine if it is more than a year old if you decide to go that route I would be happy to help you find a replacement.If this machine is under a year old Canon will normally cover the part under warranty. If you have any questions or need any help following these steps click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please consider leaving a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated.
.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
I also wanted to mention the service manual can take a few minutes to open as it is large. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.