Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

Stylus SX60FW printer/scanner/fax wont print copy or scan

Customer Question

Stylus SX60FW printer/scanner/fax won't print copy or scan - reports paper jam but unable to detect jammed paper in the machine. Scanner bar is stuck half way through scan.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Were you doing a scan, or a photocopy, operation just when the problem was first reported by the printer?

The stuck scanner bar is not a good sign.

If you haven't, turn the machine Off and wait 10+ minutes... to allow cooling off to take place. Then turn it On again, watching the scanner bar: does the scanner bar move at all during power-On initialization?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was printing a pdf file. When I turn the printer on the scanner bar moves app. 1 inch to the right and back to centre again where it stops. I have turned the machine on and off several times, always leaving it switched off for some time (including overnight) but still get the same message.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have to go out in app. 5 mins and will be away from my computer for a couple of hours.

Geoff

That's OK, Geoff.

It might be that a document feeder jam is meant by the jam message, rather than a paper jam in the main (printing) works of the machine.

(What is the exact and full text of the error message, including any error code(s) ? And is it on the printer itself (most useful) or on the computer screen (least useful) ?)

How old is the Epson device in question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

"Paper has jammed in the printer. Turn off the printer, open the scanner unit and remove the paper. See your documentation."

I noticed that each time I restart the printer and the scanner bar moves to the right it travels slightly less on the return jounrney so when I repeat the enough times it finally reaches the far end but then there are a few noises like cogs grinding and the bar moves back to the centre position again.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Message is on the printer itself and not on the pc.

Yes, it is as I supposed: the error is about a document feeder jam, not a main-printing-works jam. Because it says 'open the scanner unit and remove the paper'.

So: either your scanner unit controller circuitry has a problem (perhaps associated with the odd crippled behavior of the scanner bar that you so intelligently noticed)... or else, you have a stuck bit of paper somewhere in the scanner-and-document-feeder paper path, or a stuck sensor switch, or a sensor switch of the optical type that is blocked with a bit of paper or fuzz or dust/fluff/anything. So open the entire path that paper takes when fed through the document feeder, and the scanner parts also, and see if anything there is dirty, debris-filled or jammed, anywhere there, and clean or improve it if so.

After that, if that fails even after the Canon is shut off for 10+ minutes to cool off, your printer may need repairs.

But when cooling off the printer, do it this way:

- while it is On, pull the power plug on it sharply and suddenly, unplugging it.
- leave it that way (and unplugged from the computer) for 10+ minutes.
- plug in just the power. Turn it On if needed. See if the error is cleared.

How old is your Canon PIXMA printer, measured from its date of purchase, please?
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience: 11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's not a Canon. It's an Epsom Stylus SX60FW printer/scanner/fax and I've had it quite a few years - probably about 4 or 5, but can't recall how many exactly.

Apart from lifting the hinged upper section which opens just enough to allow access for changing the ink cartridges I don't know how to strip it down further but when I put my hand in to reach the bottom of the the area on the left I found a pool of sticky black printing ink which I'm guessing should not be there. Is there any way I can access this level to try to clean this up or should I take it to a repair shop or might it be cheaper to just buy a new machine?

TTurning by pulling plugs and restarting after 10 minutes doesn't help.

I'm sorry I got confused as to what maker of printer you had. (But, when I search for that model # ***** get 'Epson XS600FW', six-hundred that is, instead of sixty.

At 4 or 5 years old, it is definitely out of warranty coverage.

The part you need to inspect, is where a piece of paper put in the ADF feeder on top, would travel when being scanned for copying. The feeder parts, in short. The parts also, that are glass sheets or next to the glass sheet.

Here is a discussion of out-of-warranty repair options:
http://esupport.epson-europe.com/ViewArticle.aspx?lng=en-GB&kbid=311210&data=YZnBT5wk60bLQNp6jEq0lTv0zc5C1bNg

If you contemplate replacing the printer, then if you already have a considerable stock of ink cartridges in your possession, you might want to consider the savings of getting a replacement printer that also takes those ink cartridges.

If you would rather replace the printer than have it repaired, consider recycling it:
http://www.epson.co.uk/gb/en/viewcon/corporatesite/cms/index/279

As for the spilled ink... that may become a problem some time! unless you simply replace the printer and/or recycle the printer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is the SX600FW. I have not used the auto doc. feed for some time and there is no sign of any paper residue int the paper path and all the rollers are clearly visible, The the printer and scanner have been in regular use every day and it was during a regular print run that it suddenly stopped working..

It sounds as if it had a sudden spontaneous electronic function failure, then... if it wasn't that it absorbed a power variation that disturbed or damaged its workings.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Problem has sorted itself out for now at least. I used the old fashioned method of bashing it - more of a shake really - and blew as much dust etc. as possible from all accessible areas, then left it unplugged overnight, said a little prayer and this morning all seemed well again. Thanks for your patient help.

Geoff.

I'm glad to hear that! and yes, such overall-general maintenance approaches do indeed have a payoff.... sometimes.

Note that I did leave room for such a possibility by saying it might have had its workings 'disturbed' as opposed to 'damaged'.

Thank you for consulting JustAnswer.com. Please feel welcome to ask another question, at any time, in any one of our numerous categories.