Shefin
Shefin, Printer and Office Equip. Specialist
Experience:  Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.
15907069

this is a printer problem

this is a printer problem with a canon ix4000.

Put new cartridges in - now the green and orange on the power button is flashing and when you open the top the ribbon/slide doesn't pull the cartridges back to the middle

Category: Printers
Expert:  Shefin replied 2 years ago.
Shefin :
Hello! Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.
Shefin :
Please let me know when you are ready.
Customer:

ready now

Shefin :

Do you get any error codes?

Customer:

error code is 6500

Shefin :

Please wait a couple of minutes.

Shefin :

Could you please remove the cartridges from the printer?

Customer:

the ribbon won't return as the mechanism won't bring it back to the center of the printer for us to access them

Shefin :

Do you see any paper or foreign objects blocks the carriage?

Customer:

no

Shefin :

Please unplug all the cables and from the printer and wait for two minutes.

Customer:

once 2 ink cartridges were replaced - the ribbon went back now won't move and the light started flashing orange and green

Shefin :

Customer:

should we turn it off first

Shefin :

Yes.

Shefin :

Then, plug in the cables, restart the printer.

Customer:

Have done that but light is still flashing and no return on thr slider/ribbon

Shefin :

Have you checked for paper jam thoroughly?

Customer:

Yes - no jam

Shefin :

Could you please unplug the power cable, and manually moving the carriage five times using your hand?

Customer:

what is the carriage?

Shefin :

Where the cartridge seats.

Customer:

cartridge is underneath the right ride of the printer and is jammed how would we access this?

Shefin :

Please wait.

Shefin :

It seems that it is a hardware error.

Shefin :

Error 6500 usually shows Ligic board error.

Customer:

what does that mean

Shefin :

Error 6500 means, hardware failure of carriage assembly or purge unit, or the loigc board itself.

Shefin :

And it seems that the repair may cost you more than a new printer itself.

Shefin :

If the printer is old, I would suggest you get a new printer instead.

Shefin :
Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.
Shefin :
I understand that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear.
Shefin :

But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

Customer:

£23 sounds like a lot of money to be told to buy a new printer!

Shefin :

I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

Shefin :

I would suggest you contact a technician, check the issue and repair it if it is worthy.

Customer:

Will you give a rebate of £13?

Shefin :

Please inquire the cost before repairing the printer.

Shefin :

I would suggest you contact our customer support for payment related information.

Customer:

I don't understand - you said it was better to buy a new printer

Shefin :

Yes. However it seems that you need more confirmation regarding the repair.

Shefin :

That is why I suggested a local technician.

Shefin :

And you will be charged only if you rated my answer.

Shefin :

Do you have any questions?

Experience: Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.