Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

When copying information on a web site my MP610 printer omits

When copying information on a web site my MP610 printer omits a line every now & then.I have tried cleaning and the test page is fine. What is the solution please?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Try printing this page for me and let me know what comes out.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The following did not print - from the top of the page:

Line above "omits" in blue

"Your Exoert" above your picture

Word "Printer" in blue against "Category"

Word "you" after "Asked by

"Edit Price" in blue

Line "1" under "What happens next"

In the "Reply to Expert"box: - All in the line after "Styles"

All in bottom half of box I

In para at bottom of page - all in line after " To see what credentials"

All in line begin "Contact Us"

Hope this makes sense!

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
What version of windows or mac are you using?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Windows XP

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok when you go to print something after pressing print a window should open.
In that window next to the printers name click on properties/preferences it could be either word depending on software.

Then in the window that opens from there look for a setting that says quality.
Change it from whatever it is usually normal to best and then try printing again.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I went through the procedure for changing the quality of print to high by adding it to profiles. The result was a clearer print but lines were still missing

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Then a test print should not have come out properly because if you have it set to best and this is happening hardware is causing the problem.
Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No real change. Four & a half lines of your reply are missing.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok next we will want to remove the print head and do a manual deep cleaning, the print head is what puts the ink from the cartridges onto the page.
This video explains how to do that: Click Here You can dry it with a lint free cloth instead of waiting, do not use paper towels as lint can clog the nozzles.

.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have carried out the manual deep clean as advised by the video and the result is even worse - more lines omitted from a copy of your last reply!

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Remove the print head and soak it in warm water for 10 minutes.
Then remove it, and repeat this until after 10 minutes the water is clear.

Once that is done run the print head cleaning on the machine itself once.
After this test it one more time for me and let me know if anything has changed.

.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Washed again & deep cleansed on the machine and still no change - other than using an awful lot of ink !!

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
I was afraid of that, the next step would be to try a print head cleaning kit like this one: Click Here It says Brother but it works with all brands as all kits come with the same thing. It comes with solution that dissolves dried ink that may be on the sensors or in the ink line a syringe and instructions. If this still does not work it is it means the print head has failed. In order to fix this the print head inside the printer needs to be replaced.

I really hate to have to tell you this but after the troubleshooting we have done if the problem is still there I am sorry to say you indeed are going to require a new part. I know this is not what you want to here but I want to make sure I am honest with the information I provide you. You would need to replace the print head in order to fix this issue.

I wish there was another way but with everything you have posted I am confident this is the problem with your machine. The reason for this is he print head is the part of the printer that puts ink from the cartridges onto the page. Over time these parts deteriorate and need to be replaced.

A new print head normally costs between £60 and £80. It would take about 30 minutes to an hour for a tech to replace it at their shop rate. Most Shops charge between £55 and £70 per hour though you could probably do it yourself. You can get the part from here: Click Here In case you would like to look for it somewhere else the part number is *****

Due to the price some people do decide to replace the machine if it is more than a year old if you decide to go that route I would be happy to help you find a replacement. If this machine is under a year old Canon will normally cover the part under warranty. If you have any questions or need any help following these steps click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please consider leaving a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the bad news!! Having looked up new printers on Which it is clearly better value to buy a new one. Meanwhile I will soldier on with this one which is OK for uses other than copying from the web. Is it true, as I have been told, that Canon build obsolescence into their printers & that I should expect problems after about 5 years?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Unfortunately all printer companies with the exception of the Epson WorkForce series do that. Some like Kodak are worse about it and fail at around 2 years. They do not build them this way on purpose it is the parts used (usually the print head) that do this. Personally I have seen the WorkForce series last up to 10 years but would not recommend any of the other series machines. If you have any questions or need any help following these steps click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please consider leaving a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated.
.