Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

My Canon MG5250 Printer has stopped working and is giving me

My Canon MG5250 Printer has stopped working and is giving me a B200 error
I've tried switching off and disconnecting and downloading the driver but it still doesn't work.
What else can I do?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
Have you tried cleaning the machine?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've dusted it but it didn't help. How else should I clean it?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.

.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did the cleaning but I didn't get the replace cartridge message when I switched back on. I just got the b200 message again

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok next we will want to remove the print head and do a manual deep cleaning.
This video explains how to do that: Click Here You can dry it with a lint free cloth instead of waiting, do not use paper towels as lint can clog the nozzles.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, it didn't work. I'm still getting the B200 error

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Turn the machine off and unplug it.
Then by hand move the carriage by hand.
It should move freely, if it does not it is damaged.

Move it back and forth across the bar 3 or 4 times.
Then leave it in the middle of the bar.

Plug the machine back in and turn it on.
Give it a minute or two to detect the print head in the middle and recalibrate it.

.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No different. Still the B200 error

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
How old is the machine?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

3 years

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Darn, even if you had an extended warranty it would no longer be covered. Unfortunately since we have ruled out the print head it means the logic board has failed and needs to be replaced. This part can be expensive so I would call around for a price. Normally it costs between £50 and £75 for the part alone.

Due to the price some people do decide to replace the machine if it is more than a year old if you decide to go that route I would be happy to help you find a replacement. If you have any questions or need any help following these steps click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don't forget to leave a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not your Canon or this site.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I did suspect it might be an age problem even though it hasn't been heavily used.

It was worth a try

Thanks for your help

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
You're welcome and please don't forget to leave a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated.
.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience