Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

How do I connect my new imac with my existing printer - a canon

Customer Question

How do I connect my new imac with my existing printer - a canon MP610?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
How is it connected to the iMac?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

By cable, as with my old imac

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
What version of Mac is on it? If you're not sure click on the apple menu and then about this Mac.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Mac is on 10.9.4, serial number CO2M7Q7FF8JT

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Try using this driver to install the machine as Canon has not released one for 10.9: Click Here
If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've downloaded the software, but my mac still refuses to print either documents in Pages or older files

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Did you install it or just download it?
What happens when you try to print?
Does the printer show up in the list of installed printers now when you try to print?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I THINK I've installed the printer, clicking on the plus sign, but the Mac

insists that I've not done this.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
What happens when you try to print?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Where do I find the list of installed printers?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
When you try to print something it shows a printers name, click on that and it will show you a list of printers. If it is there what happens when you try to print?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

'To print this fie you must set up a printer' - but I've tried to do this already

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
It looks like you may not have fully installed it.
Click on the apple menu and then on software update, does it show an update for a printer?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've done as you suggest, but 'No updates available' Pages was installed on June 28.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Have you used the + sign option to add it after installing the driver I sent you? If you have not can you try that for me now?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've tried again to click on the plus sign after the canon MP610 logo appeared

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
A logo appeared before you clicked it or after? Where are you clicking on the plus sign? It should be done under the apple menu, system preferences, and then print & fax.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've been working on system preferences. When I click on the plus sign, the logo showing the MP610 image greys out.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Greyed out normally means it can not be detected, can you double check the cable to the computer from the printer? Try using a different port as well if you can.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've checked the cable and have inserted it in another USB hub. When I try to print, it still says 'you must set up a printer'.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
You are using a hub? Try connecting directly to the Mac instead of the hub. If that is what you are doing do you have another cable you could test with?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The mac is connected directly with the printer, not with a hub. Now an addition has come up n the 'Add' screen: Under the canon MP610 series an addition readss 'Deskjet £)&) 8611 series [8591AB]"and the kind is Bonjour multifunction.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
I apologize but I need to opt out and open this to all experts.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK Freddy - and I've got to go also. Sorry we couldn't sort this out'

Expert:  Shefin replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

Please go to the link given below, download and install the update. Restart the computer after installing the update.
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1742

Note : Please make sure that you are installing the update after downloading it. It is a big file, so it may take some time to get it downloaded.

Then, follow the instructions given below.

1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
  2. Choose Printers & Scanners.
  3. Hold down the Control key as you click in the list at the left, then choose “Reset printing system” from the menu that appears.

Then, click the + (plus sign that you see on the print & scan window, and not on the keyboard) sign to add printer. Select your printer from the list.

Note : Make sure that you are resetting the printing system before adding the printer.

Then, try printing anything and let me know if the issue persists.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

At last I've been able to access my Canon from the Mac! Thank you for your help!

Robert

Expert:  Shefin replied 2 years ago.

Are you able to resolve the issue? If the issue persists, please let me know, so that I can assist you further.

S H E F I N