Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

My printer is a MG5350. it has worked perfectly since new.

Customer Question

My printer is a MG5350. it has worked perfectly since new. Serial number ACUN14233. I refilled the bottom cassette last night with 90gm ink jet paper. This morning on calling for a print, it is not printing on the paper. I have tried the previous 80gm paper with same result. The printer does everything and thinks it is printing, but it is not on the paper. I have performed print tests and cleaning as per the manual and the ink containers are well up. I have switched it off and on to not avail. The head is going backwards and forwards and it believes that it has finished it's job, but no print.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.

.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.

If you replaced the cartridges try the old ones in case the replacements are defective.
If they are you should return them and exchange them for another set.

It sounds like you did the software cleaning contained in the printer menus.
Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If it is still there, next we will want to remove the print head and do a manual deep cleaning.
This video explains how to do that: Click Here You can dry it with a lint free cloth instead of waiting, do not use paper towels as lint can clog the nozzles.

After that if you are still seeing the same thing, he next step would be to try a print head cleaning kit like this one: Click Here It says Brother but it works with all brands as all kits come with the same thing. It comes with solution that dissolves dried ink that may be on the sensors or in the ink line a syringe and instructions. If this still does not work it is it means the print head has failed. In order to fix this the print head inside the printer needs to be replaced.

I really hate to have to tell you this but after the troubleshooting we have done if the problem is still there I am sorry to say you indeed are going to require a new part. I know this is not what you want to here but I want to make sure I am honest with the information I provide you. You would need to replace the print head in order to fix this issue.

I wish there was another way but with everything you have posted I am confident this is the problem with your machine. The reason for this is he print head is the part of the printer that puts ink from the cartridges onto the page. Over time these parts deteriorate and need to be replaced.

A new print head normally costs between £45 and £60. It would take about 30 minutes to an hour for a tech to replace it at their shop rate. Most Shops charge between £55 and £75 per hour though you could probably do it yourself since you essentially have already to do the deep cleaning. You can get the part from here: Click Here In case you would like to look for it somewhere else the part number is *****

Due to the price some people do decide to replace the machine if it is more than a year old if you decide to go that route I would be happy to help you find a replacement.If this machine is under a year old Canon will normally cover the part under warranty. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.
.

Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have carried out all your recommendations and the result is the same. It looks like the time to either replace the head or printer. In your answer it says that if all else fails then the head is the problem. With the printer working and thinking it is ok, I take it that it must be the head and it could not be any other reason? Thank you for your answer, most informative.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Unfortunately what you are describing 99% of the time is caused by the print head yes. The other 1% can be the logic board but the machine would usually show a B200 message as well if that was the case.
.