Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

My Canon Pixma 5200 ink printer will not switch on. It is

My Canon Pixma 5200 ink printer will not switch on. It is now about nine years old and has given no trouble since day one. Now the on switch having been pressed, the machine flashes the light once and then stops with mains power off. As it is a good printer I am loath to replace it. Please can you offer some advice?
Hamish Wilson
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
Sometimes just moving it to a different outlet will get it to turn on again, have you tried that yet? A different room just for a minute is best.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello, Freddy, I have tried that. I've even toured it through two rooms and each plug in those. No joy, I'm sorry to say. I've also tried different cartridges, using an older PC with which it had worked perfectly in the past AND I've even downloaded drivers from Canon - all to no effect. I'm not distressed at the idea of replacing parts. I used, as a hobby, to build PCs and am passed the terrible tension of switching on for the first time. Hamish

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately neither the cartridges nor the drivers can stop it from turning on. Without being connected to a computer and without ink cartridges it should still turn on. Have you tried a different power cable?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, but I'll see if I've got one and try it at once. Hamish

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
Ok please do and let me know the results when you can, some DVD players and things like that use the same type of cable as well.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

B***dy H**l. The damn thing's on and seems to be staying on. I'll find a wee bit of stuff to print and get back to you ASAP. Hamish

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.

Take all the time you need. Over time the cords can deteriorate from normal use. If it does not continue to work let me know so we can continue by clicking on reply to expert. If not please don't forget to leave a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's on and it is staying on. You didn't wander out to the back garden and sacrifice white dives to the.... No, of course not. Many thanks, Freddy. You are a star! Cheers ***** ***** again. Hamish

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.

You're welcome Hamish and I hope you have a wonderful day!