Sowrav D.
Sowrav D., Engineer
Experience:  Completed Course In Computer Hardware and Printer Repairing
33155275

I have just replaced both Black Cartridges in My Canon Pixma

I have just replaced both Black Cartridges in My Canon Pixma MG 5450 all in one printer and I get support code 1681 which states " more than one ink tank of the following color is installed" indicating the smaller Black cartridge CLI-551 BK. I have turned printer off from mains numerous times but cannot get rid of support code and printer will not work. help please Burgo
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for posting your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help you today.

Can you tell me, what happens, when you remove small black cartridge from the printer ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Support code 1684 the following ink tank cannot be recognized

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
Can you tell me the sequency, in which the cartridges are installed, like ffrom the right side of you...Magenta,Yellow, Black etc.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

From right to left Cyan Large Black Yellow small Black Magenta

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
From your right side or printer's right side ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Printers right side

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks this seems to be a simple problem, just replace the small black cartridge from the store as there are quite a few faulty new cartridges getting around. The store should replace this cartridges with a new one, as it is defective. This will fix it everytime. Seen it hundreds of times.

But, before that follow the steps once more to hard reset the printer and check the result.

Disconnect the Universal Serial Bus (USB) cable from the back of the product, but leave the product turned on

Open the cover of the product and remove the print cartridges

Close the cover and wait for the Insert Ink Cartridges message to display

Disconnect the power cord from the back of the product and wait for one minute

Reconnect the power cord. If the product does not automatically turn on, press the Power button

Open the cover and reinsert the print cartridges

Close the cover. If prompted, print a calibration page.

Reconnect the USB cable, and try to print a print job from the computer

Click the "Reply To Expert" tab below and reply me back, if you need any further help.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have replaced both the small black cartridge and the large black cartridge with new "Canon" cartridges today from another supplier and this did not cure the problem. my printer is controlled from my iMac computer by wi-fi please advise

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
Do you mean, you have already replced your new cartridges with another set of new cartridges from another supplier ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
OK, do you get the error code on the printer or computer ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

on the printer

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the update, this problem has nothing to do with your computer or connection, this is a hardware fault of the printer and this can happen, if the cartridges are defective or the printhead and in most of the cases, it was the cartridge which was defective and that is why, I asked you replace the cartridge, but as you have already done that, then the problem can only caused due to defective printhead, but sometimes this can also happen, if the contacts on the printhead is dirty and the printhead cannot detect the cartridges properly.

Please follow the steps below to remove the printhead from the printer and then clean the contacts on it, with a cotton swab, damapened in distilled water, after that dry it with a soft lint free cloth. Reseat the printhead and check the result.

If the problem persist then, unfortunately the printhead is defective and you have to replace the printhead.Please check the price of a new printhead before replacing it, because sometimes the price of a new printhead is equal to the price of a new printer.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know,otherwise please remember to give rating and I request you that, do not give negative rating, as the problem is caused due to defective spare of the printer and I can only tell you, what is defective , as it is not possible for me to replace the defective spare.

1. Make sure that the power is turned on, then, holding both sides of the paper output tray, gently open it.

2. Lift the operation panel open until it stops.
    The print head holder will move to ink tank replacement position.

3. Push the tab (A) on an ink tank and lift it out of the printer.

4. Remove the rest of the ink tanks from the holder.

5. After all the ink tanks have been removed from the holder, press and hold the Stop button for two seconds (or longer) until the print head carriage moves to the replacement position and then release the button.
    The carriage will move to the right and then return almost centered with the front opening.

6. Open the the inner cover (B) and push it down all the way to the bottom.

7. Pull the Head Set Lever towards the front of the machine. You may find resistance when the bottom of the Head Set Lever hits the back of the front edge. The Head Set Lever will move forward as it slides above that front edge.

8. Use your finger tips to grab the top of the center tab and pull out the print head. You will notice the front of the print head will drop face down as you pull it out of the machine.

9. Now go to section Installing (or Reseating) the Print Head.

Installing (or Reseating) the Print Head:

1. If you are installing a replacement print head, remove it from its packaging.

2. Hold the center tab of the replacement print head, with the front of the print head facing down (so you can see the back of the print head (green circuit board)), and ensure the two tabs on the front, bottom corners of the print head are inserted into the rails on either side of the print head holder.

3. Now slide the replacement print head into the machine.
    As the print head slides into the holder, it will start to sit in an upright position.

4. Once the print head is seated in the print head holder, push the Head Set Lever towards the back of the machine.

5. Reinsert the ink tanks into their proper slots.

1. Insert the front end of the ink tank into the print head at a slant. Make sure that the position of the ink tank matches the label.

2. Press on the top of the ink tank until the ink tank snaps firmly into place. Make sure that the ink lamp lights up red.

6. Close the inner cover and then operation panel.

If the print head carriage returns to home position before the print head is installed, close the inner cover and operation panel and follow the instructions on the display. Then repeat step 3 to get the print head holder into the replacement position.

Source:Canon Support

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

please advise location of "stop" button on the printer please

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
It is on the right side of the printer's control panel, the symbol is a red triangle inside a red circle.
Sowrav D., Engineer
Experience: Completed Course In Computer Hardware and Printer Repairing