Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

Hello,My printer, Epson Stylus Photo

Hello, My printer, Epson Stylus Photo R2880, won't pick up the paper. It's been a great printer for me and I haven't changed anything about it but suddenly the paper feed doesn't do the job. Can you help me? Thank you. Alison XXXXX XXXXX

Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
How did you clean the rollers? Does a single sheet of paper loaded do the same thing?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I used a very light cloth and cleaned the rollers with lighter fluid.

And yes, a single sheet of paper won't go through either.

Alison

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.

.
Lighter fluid is not something that should ever be used to clean machines like this. Please clean it again using either a small amount of rubbing alcohol or water. It will not fix anything but will at least get most of the lighter fluid off of it. With a single sheet does it try to pick up the page at all?
.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK. I'll wipe it with water. It tries to pick up the sheet of paper when there's just one piece in there but it doesn't work.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Does it jam as soon as it picks the sheet up?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The mechanism starts but the four little teeth which are supposed to grip it just can't get hold of it.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok if you push the page in a little by hand does it then grab it and work properly or does it jam?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've tried doing that and it still won't pick up. It actually started being troublesome a couple of weeks ago so I've mastered the gentle encouragement with a slight push technique but now it won't accept it any more.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Darn, that is not a good sign. How old is the printer? If it is over a year old did you happen to get an extended warranty?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's well over a year old. Do you think it's had it's day?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.

.
Unfortunately I wish I could give you better news but what you are describing normally is caused by the feeder needing to be replaced. The white teeth you were referring to are part of it, that part is the pick up assembly. However if it was just that you would still be able to get the paper to feed while pushing it in which is why I asked about that. The feeder is the pick up and roller assembly inside the machine which I hate to say it but can be expensive to replace. Most shops wont do it since it is usually cheaper to replace the machine with a newer one and the parts can be hard to find. If you decide to go that route I would be happy to help you find a replacement. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Epson.
.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much for your help. It's what I half suspected and I don't think it's worth getting a new part so I'll buy a new printer. Thanks for your advice.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
You're welcome and I wish I could have given you better news. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Epson.
.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience