VanMagnus Systems
VanMagnus Systems, Engineer
Experience:  I have more than 20 years of experience in the Printer Hardware and Software support. A+ certified.
16924516

Canon MG5250: I was printing normally from the bottom tray

Customer Question

Canon MG5250: I was printing normally from the bottom tray - it completed the print normally then threw up an error message 'Rear cover - the paper is jammed'. I've thoroughly checked the machine and no paper is jammed and in any event I was using the tray not the rear. Pressing OK didn't clear the message nor did switching the machine off locally and then from the mains. Is it bust?
Category: Printers
Expert:  VanMagnus Systems replied 2 years ago.

VanMagnus Systems :

Paper Is Jammed in the Paper Output Slot or the Rear TrayPaper Is Jammed in the Paper Output Slot or the Rear Tray

Remove the paper following the procedure below.
1. Slowly pull the paper out, either from the Rear Tray or from the Paper Output Slot, whichever is easier.

Full Size Image

NOTE
  • If the paper tears and a piece remains inside the machine, turn the machine off, open the Scanning Unit (Cover), and remove the paper. Be careful not to touch the components inside the machine. After removing all paper, close the Scanning Unit (Cover), and turn the machine back on.
  • If you cannot pull the paper out, turn the machine off and turn it back on. The paper may be ejected automatically.

2. Reload the paper, and press the OK button on the machine.
If you turned off the machine in step 1, all print jobs in the queue are canceled. Reprint if necessary.

NOTE
  • When reloading the paper, confirm that you are using the paper suited for printing and are loading it correctly.

-> [ Loading Paper ]
  • We recommend you use paper other than A5 sized one to print documents with photos or graphics; otherwise, the printout may curl and cause paper exit jams.

If you cannot remove the paper or the paper tears inside the machine, or if the paper jam error continues after removing the paper, contact the service center.

Paper Is Jammed inside the Machine at the Transport UnitPaper Is Jammed inside the Machine at the Transport Unit

1. Detach the Rear Cover.

Full Size Image

2. Pull the paper out slowly.
Full Size Image

NOTE
  • Be careful not to touch the components inside the machine.

3. Attach the Rear Cover.
Push the left side of the Rear Cover until it is closed completely.

Full Size Image

If you were not able to remove the paper out in step 2:
4. Remove the Cassette.
5. Pull the paper out slowly.
Full Size Image

6. If any paper is sticking out of the Cassette, remove the paper, align and reload the paper in the Cassette.
If you did not remove the jammed paper out in step 1 to 5 when automatic duplex printing, check the duplex transport section.
-> [ Jammed Paper Is Not Removed out When Automatic Duplex Printing ]

NOTE
  • When reloading the paper into the machine, confirm that you are using the correct paper and are loading it into the machine correctly.

-> [ Loading Paper ]

7. Insert the Cassette into the machine again, and press the OK button on the machine.
If you turned off the machine in step 2, all print jobs in queue are canceled. Reprint if necessary.

Jammed Paper Is Not Removed out When Automatic Duplex PrintingJammed Paper Is Not Removed out When Automatic Duplex Printing

Before removing the jammed paper, see [ Paper Is Jammed inside the Machine at the Transport Unit ] to remove it from Transport Unit. If the paper jam error continues, remove the jammed paper following the procedure below.
1. Turn off the machine, and unplug the power cord of the machine from the power supply.
2. Remove the Cassette.
If the paper is loaded on the Rear Tray, remove the paper from the Rear Tray and retract the Paper Support.
3. Set the machine upright with the left side down.

IMPORTANT
  • When standing the machine, make sure that the Scanning Unit (Cover) is closed securely.

4. Slowly pull the jammed paper out so that the paper does not tear.

Full Size Image

NOTE
  • Set the machine back to its original position immediately after removing the jammed paper.

5. Align the paper, then reload it in the Cassette.
Reload paper in the Rear Tray, if necessary.

NOTE

-> [ Loading Paper ]

6. Insert the Cassette into the machine again.
7. Plug the machine back in and turn the machine back on.
All print jobs in queue are canceled. Reprint if necessary.

In Other CasesIn Other Cases

Make sure of the following:

• Check 1: Are there any foreign objects around the Paper Output Slot?
  • Check 2: Are there any foreign objects in the Rear Tray?

Full Size Image

If there are any foreign objects in the Rear Tray, be sure to turn off the machine, unplug it from the power supply, then remove the foreign object.
Full Size Image

• Check 3: Is the Rear Cover closed completely?
  • Check 4: Is the paper curled?
VanMagnus Systems :

Above is the complete steps in clearing Paper Jams from your Printer...

VanMagnus Systems :

VanMagnus Systems :

Are you here???

JACUSTOMER-i0oa814r- :

there are no foreign objects, there is no paper jammed in the machine and the rear cover is closed completely

VanMagnus Systems :

OK, do you have a Torch and canned Air???

JACUSTOMER-i0oa814r- :

I have a torch. I don't know what 'canned air' is.

VanMagnus Systems :

Compressed air in a can.

JACUSTOMER-i0oa814r- :

no, I don't have that

VanMagnus Systems :

The idea is to look along the entire paper path to check that there is no specs of paper in the printer that you may have missed...

VanMagnus Systems :

Now, if you are sure that there is no paper in the printer.

VanMagnus Systems :

Then we will try to reset it.

JACUSTOMER-i0oa814r- :

yes, I have already checked for rogue paper several times. I've checked internally and underneath and I've just done it again with a torch. (as an aside, I notice that when I open up the cover, the transfer for the print magazines doesn't move to the accessible position as it normally would)

VanMagnus Systems :

ok.

VanMagnus Systems :

Hold on, getting the needed information for you...

VanMagnus Systems :

ok, almost got it???

JACUSTOMER-i0oa814r- :

ok, I'm here

VanMagnus Systems :

Good...

VanMagnus Systems :

There is one thing I want you to try,

JACUSTOMER-i0oa814r- :

OK

VanMagnus Systems :

Please unplug the Printer and remove all cables from the Printer for the next 15 minutes....

VanMagnus Systems :

Then chime back in to let me know of the results. When you reconnect the Printer.

VanMagnus Systems :

I will be back in 15 minutes...

JACUSTOMER-i0oa814r- :

done. I'll reconnect in 15 minutes and get back

VanMagnus Systems :

OK...

JACUSTOMER-i0oa814r- :

Reconnected. No change. The same error reappeared

VanMagnus Systems :

ok.

VanMagnus Systems :

hold please.

VanMagnus Systems :

I will need to step out of the chat so you are not waiting here. You will be notified when the solution is posted Sir or Ma'am.

VanMagnus Systems :

If you are looking to reset the settings to factory defaults, please perform the following:

1. Go to the Home menu or press the Home button on the printer.

2. Use the up or down arrow keys until Setup appears, then press the softkey under Setup.

3. Select Device Settings and press OK.

4. Select Reset Setting and press OK.

5. Select Reset All and press OK.

6. Select Yes and press OK.

Once this has been done, the current settings will be cleared.

VanMagnus Systems :

Forgive the delay, here is your solution:

VanMagnus Systems :

Chime in if any more assistance is needed....

JACUSTOMER-i0oa814r- :

Thanks. I will have to go through this this evening as I have no time now, but I cannot access the home button on the printer since the error message on the display won't clear.

VanMagnus Systems :

OK, I will be here...

JACUSTOMER-i0oa814r- :

Hi. I'm back with this. Can you advise on step 1 again please. As I say, I can't set anything from the printer as it only shows the error message on the display, which I can't clear. thx. Mike

VanMagnus Systems :

Ok Sir, thy this:

VanMagnus Systems :

3. Select Device Settings and press OK.

4. Select Reset Setting and press OK.

5. Select Reset All and press OK.

6. Select Yes and press OK.

VanMagnus Systems :

Do the steps above.

JACUSTOMER-i0oa814r- :

sorry, that's exactly what you said before !

VanMagnus Systems :

Let us see if this works..

VanMagnus Systems :

Ok, the steps did not work at all and there is Zero change in the status of the Printer???

VanMagnus Systems :

Hello???

JACUSTOMER-i0oa814r- :

I'm afraid you haven't read or appreciated my comments above (mentioned twice) ref the home button......

VanMagnus Systems :

Ok... Please hold...

VanMagnus Systems :

Ok, I see.....

VanMagnus Systems :

Ok, I see that there is on final option...

VanMagnus Systems :

Chime in when ready...

JACUSTOMER-i0oa814r- :

yes, I'm here

VanMagnus Systems :

Ok...

VanMagnus Systems :

What is the closest City near you???

JACUSTOMER-i0oa814r- :

Reading

VanMagnus Systems :

OK, please hold on.....

VanMagnus Systems :

Alright... A few moments more.....

VanMagnus Systems :

You can call

Full Size Image
+44 (0) 20 7660 0186 *, the reason is that your Printer has had a Fault.

VanMagnus Systems :

It must be serviced at a Service Center, please call Canon to find the closest location to you. Also, the all of the known resolutions to this issue have all failed.

VanMagnus Systems :

That means that a visit to an Authorized Service Center is needed....

VanMagnus Systems :

All I can ask is that you consider a "Positive Rating" for the service received..

VanMagnus Systems :

Oh, you need to know this too:

VanMagnus Systems :

Our helpdesk can be reached Monday to Friday from 9:00AM to 5:00PM. During this phone call you might be asked for some additional information. We recommend having the product as well as the following data to hand:

• Exact product model name e.g. EOS 400D
• Serial number of your device (Where to find your serial number)
• Operating system installed on your computer if applicable e.g. Windows 8, Mac OS X 10.9 (How to identify your operating system)
• Reference number of a previous contact with our helpdesk if available (so that we don’t have to capture your details again)

JACUSTOMER-i0oa814r- :

Yes, well, frankly that's where I started before using 'Just answer'. If I have to go to Canon I might as well throw it away given their minimum charges etc. I assume from this that you have reached the end of what you can offer.

VanMagnus Systems :

True...

VanMagnus Systems :

Well, let me know of your next move...

JACUSTOMER-i0oa814r- :

you may be interested to know that after switching it on and off again persistently, it seems to have 'rebooted' itself and appears to be functioning normally. no idea why or how - presumably a software hickup. Remains to be seen if it remains functioning.

VanMagnus Systems :

Really??? That is not normal as unless being forced into a Reset Mode these devices do not reboot themselves.

JACUSTOMER-i0oa814r- :

well, that's what's happened. Of course I use the word 'reboot' unintelligently not technically. I have no idea what's kicked it into action, but am relieved it has.

VanMagnus Systems :

One thing that I must point out to you is that the Resets I had you do actually worked.

JACUSTOMER-i0oa814r- :

sorry, that last doesn't make sense. I have NOT done any resets as I said several times.

VanMagnus Systems :

So you just turned it off and on a few times and that was it????

JACUSTOMER-i0oa814r- :

yes, yes. and of course I had previously done this numerous times, to no avail, so I hardly expected it to work. This time however it completed its normal start up procedure and returned to normal.

VanMagnus Systems :

Most peculiar.

JACUSTOMER-i0oa814r- :

I should of course add that I have test printed successfully, there was (of course) no jammed paper, the error message it had thrown up originally was specious as I had not been using the rear feeder....so self evidently this was a malfunction of some sort. Obviously I have no idea whether the problem is cured or will reoccur.

VanMagnus Systems :

Again so strange... I have never heard of this error before...

VanMagnus Systems :

All I can ask is for a positive rating...