Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

My printer is Kodak hero 5.1 I am using Kodak 30cl/30 ink

My printer is Kodak hero 5.1
I am using Kodak 30cl/30 ink cartridges. The printer operates but does not print anything on the page. So I replaced existing cartridges by new ones. Although the printer appears to operate, with no warning messages on printer LCD nor on computer, nothing is being printed on the printing paper itself which comes out blank. The printing paper used is the same type I have been using without problem for the past two years.
Do you have any suggestions what might be wrong?
Charles
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
How old is the printer? Have you tried cleaning it yet?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I bought the printer in January 2013, brand new.

I have not tried cleaning. How would I do that?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Unfortunately since it is over a year old it is no longer under warranty.
Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I followed your instructions and attempted to copy a document in black on white paper. The printed copy is blue on white paper with most lines of text being faded or incomplete.

Have just tried copying for the third time. This copy is blue print on white paper ( not black and white as it should be) but at least every word is clear and is not faded.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Please try it with this page rather than the card for any tests.
Remove the ink cartridges and then lift the latch on the carriage to remove the print head.

Soak the print head in warm water for 10 minutes.
Then repeat this with fresh warm water until after 10 minutes the water is clear.

Once done do not test it yet. Let it dry and put it back in the machine.
Instead put the ink cartridges back in and press the home button.

Press down until you see maintenance and then press ok.
Press down until you get clean print head and press ok.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry I had to break off due to visitors. I completed your suggested procedures.Every word prints clearly but is blue and white instead of being black and white.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
I was afraid you might say that, that means either the ink cartridge or print head needs to be replaced.
Since you have new cartridges it would be the print head which you can get here: Click Here
Unfortunately this is a very common problem with Kodak machines as they use cheaply made print heads.

If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know.
If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated.
Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Kodak.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Which printers do have better printheads ?

Many thanks for your advice and help

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
You're welcome, currently the best machines on the market are the Epson Workforce series though I would not recommend any other epsons. I would avoid both Kodak and Brother. Canon and HP machines are in about the middle in terms of quality.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help. Goodbye.