Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair
59725966

The printer will not print any black written words and the

The printer will not print any black written words and the colours are really faded and both
the cartridges are full
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. We’ll get started chatting here.

If you’d prefer support beyond the chat format, you may also reach me directly via phone or a remote support session. I’ll send an additional services offer for these options - feel free to ignore it for now, it will be available to you at any time during or after our conversation.

Nathan :

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head.

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function, if it doesn’t work try it a second time. If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use. That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Customer:

I have run the clean print head function twice and then printed a test page and its printed worse than before

Nathan :

Okay, then you've got a bad printhead (or a bad logic board). The head would need to be replaced as a next step, but for a 3 year old printer, which is at the end of its service life, it may be more practical to replace the entire printer, as other wear items (purge/absorber system, rollers, etc) are at the end of life as well.

Nathan :

Here is a replacement printhead, if you wish to try that. It is not a guaranteed fix, but it is the only practical step you can attempt. If it didn't work, then the logic board would have to be replaced, which really isn't even possible at this point, as kodak does not make printers any longer and there are no support/parts available. If there was, you'd be in the 200+ range for repairs

Customer:

Ok, thanks for your help.

Nathan :

Above is a replacement printer I'd suggest, if you'd prefer to go that route, which is going to be more economical in the long run.

Nathan :

You're welcome, and I apologize for being the bearer of bad news today.

Nathan, Engineer
Experience: Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair