toughguy9
toughguy9, Engineer
Experience:  A Post Graduate in computer science with over 11 years of experience in Computer Hardware and Software
21067471

Ive had a Canon Pixma495 printer for about two years. A couple

I've had a Canon Pixma495 printer for about two years. A couple of weeks ago it suddenly wouldn't print. The image I want to print appears on the screen, but when I go to press the print button nothing happens. Even when I clear the queue and press the print button there is no joy but then I get the message saying that there are one or two documents in the queue, depending on how many times I've pressed the button.
I've tried re-installing the software with the CD-Rom as I did when I purchased the printer but without success. I can photocopy so it is obviously a connection between the computer and the printer.
Nigel Tunley
Category: Printers
Expert:  toughguy9 replied 2 years ago.
toughguy9 :

Hi Nigel

toughguy9 :

Good Day

toughguy9 :

This is Leela and I would be helping you with the printer problem

toughguy9 :

can you please let me know if you tried to download the driver from canon website for the printer and install them on your computer?

toughguy9 :

If not, I would recommend doing that

toughguy9 :

Please visit the below URL in your computer and it should automatically detect your computer OS and recommend the drivers for your computer

Customer:

No, I haven't tried doing this. A friend of mine thought it might be a driver problem.

toughguy9 :

Even i am suspecting a driver problem from what you have mentioned

Customer:

I should have mentioned that I have a wireless conncection

toughguy9 :

so I recommend you to visit the above page and download the relevant driver and install the same

toughguy9 :

so your printing via Wireless Connection right?

toughguy9 :

That shouldnot be a problem

toughguy9 :

Once you have right drivers and you can connect to printer then it should be good.

toughguy9 :

The driver update might look complex if you not done earlier, but it is relatively easy. If you need any assistance in downloading the right software, installing I can do a REMOTE SESSION, check the problem on your computer and fix it

toughguy9 :

were you able to visit the link and download the right driver?

toughguy9 :

Can you please let me know how things are going?

Customer:

I have downloaded the driver. Shall i try and print something.

toughguy9 :

did you install the driver?

Customer:

Yes I did. It seems to have been successful. Shall I try printing something?

toughguy9 :

Good. Please try and let me know what happens

toughguy9 :

I am waiting for your update.. please let me know if there is any problem so that we can work on other alternatives

Customer:

I tried printing an email and nothing happened. Just the same as before.

toughguy9 :

Ok

toughguy9 :

now we need to check if PRINTER WIFI is setup properly or not

Customer:

What next?

toughguy9 :

Were you able to successfully print any time earlier on the printer?

Customer:

The last time I printed something successfully was probably about two and a half weeks ago.

toughguy9 :

Please visit the link and follow the instruction in the VIDEO on SETTING UP printer via WIFI http://www.usa.canon.com/CUSA/assets/app/html/web_tutorial/wifi_MP495/index.html

toughguy9 :

For photocopying WIFI setup is not needed

toughguy9 :

so it works but for printing wifi setup is needed

toughguy9 :

Please watch video and do the required configuration and once WIFI setup is done please try and let me know how things go

toughguy9 :

Are you with me? Are you clear on what to do next?

Customer:

The procedure in the video is what I've already done and it didn't work

toughguy9 :

Oh !!

toughguy9 :

The other option I could think of is CONNECTING via WIRE and check if printer is working or not

toughguy9 :

We need to find if the problem with only WIFI print or normal printing also

Customer:

Sorry, what do you mean?

toughguy9 :

Do you USB cable which you got with your printer?

toughguy9 :

if so, we can try connecting printer directly to computer/laptop and see if that printing works or not

toughguy9 :

*do you have USB cable

toughguy9 :

If you can connect the printer via USB cable to your computer and run the printer setup software we can quickly check if printing that way works or not

toughguy9 :

Once we isolate the exact problem it would be easy to find the solution

Customer:

Yes, I've got the USB cable

toughguy9 :

Wonderful, will you be able to connect the PRINTER to COMPUTER directly via USB cable?

toughguy9 :

Once you do it.. run the Printer setup, choose the option printer connected via USB and then try to connect

toughguy9 :

If that prints then we are clear problem is VIA wireless only

toughguy9 :

but donot worry.. there is another option where we can connect printer to your ROUTER via LAN CABLE and then you can use it from your computer.. you donot need to have your printer connected to computer always

toughguy9 :

What we are trying to do is to isolate the exact problem

Customer:

I've connected the laptop and printer via the USB cable and I will try to print

toughguy9 :

Did you run the Printer setup and does it recognize your printer?

Customer:

How do I run the Printer Set up?

toughguy9 :

From the page I gave above from where you have downloaded the driver

toughguy9 :

can you check if you can see the following software

toughguy9 :

My Printer Ver. 3.2.1 (Windows 8.1/8.1 x64/8/8 x64/7/7 x6...

toughguy9 :

if so, please download it and it will help you with troubleshooting your printer related problems

toughguy9 :

For your reference I gave the link again

toughguy9 :

Incase you have the printer CD

toughguy9 :

then you can use the CD to configure the printer via USB cable

Customer:

I'm sorry but I'm getting out of my depth so I think I'll just have to pay the £20 and be done with it. Thank you for your help

toughguy9 :

If you allow me remote session, I will try few things before we give up

toughguy9, Engineer
Experience: A Post Graduate in computer science with over 11 years of experience in Computer Hardware and Software