Jason Jones
Jason Jones, Technician
Experience:  10+ years work experience.
30759776

Hi, all of a sudden, my canon pixma ip7200 is printing a black

Customer Question

Hi, all of a sudden, my canon pixma ip7200 is printing a black and white image as colour - it started with a few streaks, and now it seems to think the whole thing is blue. Ive printed the same image over and over without a problem. All inks topped up. Cleaning done. Test page looks fine. Any thoughts?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is Freddy. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
How did you clean the machine? Did you clean it manually by hand at all?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Freddy, thank for getting back to me. By cleaning, I meant the printer's maintenance cleaning cycle for black only. Its quite a new printer, but I use it a lot.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
If it is under a year old and you end up needing a part Canon will normally cover it.
.
Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, done that. Now not printing anything. status says printer online and a document in the print queue, but it just doesn't print

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
For now please test it making a photo copy rather than printing from the computer to see if the problem is still there.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

what do you mean, making a photocopy? of what? the image is on the computer. that might make sense to see if the image is comparable, but that isn't the problem here.

Expert:  Jason Jones replied 2 years ago.

My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.

I can see that you may need a little bit of extra help.

Do you still need help with this problem? If so, may I start a screen sharing session on your computer and help you resolve the problem?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

HI Jason , thanks for getting back to me,. I think this is to do with, putting it clumsily, how the printer reads/ renders what's on the screen. Now the printer is printing the image in greyscale, but its lacking all the finer detail, as if applying a filter. the image is a scan from a brush and ink comic, so very subtle shading and dense blacks.

Thank you for the update.

May I start a remote screen sharing session with you so that I can better help you resolve this problem?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

cant say I'm happy about that no. what do you want to see exacty?

I wish to see your configuration so that I can fix it.

I have remoted in few hundred thousand times with no issues, but I understand your anxieties.

How do you wish to continue?