Dan T.
Dan T., Master Technician
Experience:  USAF trained; currently teaching electronics for the DoD.
42300671

How do I change the ink absorber pad on my Canon 160 Pixma

Customer Question

How do I change the ink absorber pad on my Canon 160 Pixma printer. Where do I find it on the machine and from whom do I source a replacement.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Dan T. replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the question! I'm Dan, and I'd be happy to help!

Are you getting an error code? If so, which one?

Dan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dan - The error code symbol shown is E8

Expert:  Dan T. replied 3 years ago.
OK, thank you.

Have you checked the absorbers visually to see if they are full? Also, as you able to print after pressing "OK" or another button?

Dan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have already stated that I cannot see any ink pad absorbers in the machine. Some printing has been possible but the E8 symbol continues to display. Seeing your comments gives me the feeling that we are not getting any where and that you are not familiar with this machine

Expert:  Dan T. replied 3 years ago.

I've worked with this machine several times. I just didn't want to overload you with information on disassembling the unit and replacing the absorbers if it's not necessary. Replacing them is a monster of a job and is usually pretty messy, so I didn't want to cross that bridge if we didn't have to.

There are 2 absorbers in this unit. The main one sits directly underneath the ink cartridges would be when the unit is powered off. I like to use a flashlight to get a visual on the absorber. You can slide the print head (where the cartridges are) manually to get a better view.

If it's full, let me know and do not proceed with the instructions below.

If it is not full, then we can reset the machine's waste ink counter so it knows it isn't full. Here's how to do that...

1. With the printer powered off (but connected to a power source), press and hold the stop/reset button, then press the power button once.

2. When the power is lit, press the stop/reset button two times while pressing and holding the power button.

3. When releasing the power button and stop/reset button the printer will move into service mode.

4. When the on/off light is green, press stop/reset button 4 times.

5. Turn off the printer (hold the power button until you are sure the printer is completely powered off).

6. Turn the printer back on and check to make sure errors are cleared.

Dan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dan - Thanks for your continued interest. I have identified the ink absorbers and they are full. In the circumstances the simplest solution is to buy a new printer - Jim.