Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

MG 3200, support code 5011. I have tried switching off and

Customer Question

MG 3200, support code 5011. I have tried switching off and on, checked for small objects in the printer and cleaned the code strip. Still getting an error. Anything else I can do?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is Freddy. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Turn the machine off and unplug it.

Then by hand move the print head (cradle) by hand.
It should move freely, if it does not it is damaged.

Move it back and forth across the bar 3 or 4 times.
Then leave it in the middle of the bar.

Plug the machine back in and turn it on.
Give it a minute or two to detect the print head in the middle and recalibrate it.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The printhead could not be moved until I found a white fitting that swiveled back which was blocking it. Moved the head back and forth and left it in the middle. Plugged in and got no recalibration and same error showing.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Is it the same number as well? If you open it now does the print head move over to you properly?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Now showing just a lightening sign in a triangle. Print head not moving.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Move it over to yourself the same way you did before.
Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.

.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It started flashing with number 2 and letter P. I will do what you suggest and let you know. Thanks, Freddy, so far. Philip

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
You're welcome and take all the time you need.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Did clean up, replaced both cartridges with new. Not sure if I did the right sequence in starting up. I inserted the cartridges, switched of and unplugged, waited 70 seconds, plugged back in and got same error - P and 2 flashing. Tried centering the print head as before, no luck.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Is it just that now or is 5011 there as well?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just the P and 2 and the plain paper light is flashing

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
There is a plastic strip and a guide bar the carriage sitys on. The strip is usually behind that. With the printer off clean them both the best you can and repeat the original steps one more time.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Cleaned the carriage and strip, also found contact points under the cartridges which I cleaned. Plugged in switched on and got P and 2 flashing, as before.

Looks like we are running out of options and I will have to bin it with all the ink I had to import [I live in Barbados and couldn't get it locally].

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
The one last thing to check is for a paper jam in the machine. You would need a flashlight to be able to see anything very small. If there is no paper jam it would be a very bad sign.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have done as first thing, just in case I checked again and nothing visible. Spent enough time on this and its all going into the bin!

Thanks for trying. Philip

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Unfortunately if the problem is still there after all of that I hate to tell you it was going to need a new carriage assembly anyway. Since it is sometimes expensive most people do tend to replace the machine instead. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.