Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I have a Canon Selphy ES2/ES20 printer. Excellent to date,

Customer Question

I have a Canon Selphy ES2/ES20 printer. Excellent to date, but now getting constant paper jams. The printer starts and the paper comes out about 2 cm, and then stops. Help please.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I advise that you may have paper feed rollers (or paper pickup rollers) whose surfaces have become slick with time and use, thus resulting in their being unable to propel paper through the machine.

Remove all the paper from the machine.

Remove paper trays if any are present, open the machine as much as you can to get access to the paper path (the path the paper travels through the machine.)

Take a clean, high-quality lint-free rag cloth, moisten it with rubbing alcohol, and, reaching into the machine with it, firmly rub, three time over, the entire paper-contacting surface of the rubber or plastic paper feed rollers (or paper pickup rollers, if near the paper stack's position or the paper source/paper tray/etc.)
Allow 5+ minutes drying time. Then close up the printer, reload paper/paper tray (where applicable) and try again.

Note that the rollers most in need of cleaning are the ones near the position of the leading edge of the paper when it stops feeding.

Let me know how it goes, please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Russell,

Unfortunately such is the design of the printer that I am unable to gain access to the paper feed rollers without taking the entire machine apart.

I will have a go at cleaning the best I can, but my suspicion is that the fault is with the paper / ink cartridge, which is a combined unit

Graham

If you can't reach into the printer to clean the paper feed/pickup rollers with a cloth in your hand, perhaps cotton swabs moistened in rubbing alcohol (and used patiently, and a lot of them - perhaps as many as three dozen over time) could do the cleaning needed.

You may be right, but cleaning paper pickup rollers and paper feed rollers is a thing to try for this sort of problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't know whether you have seen the Canon Selphy printer, but there is no way in which I can reach the pick up and paper feed rollers without taking the printer apart with a screw driver.

I know they are compact in the extreme. I'm sorry that it can't be done the usual way.

There might doubtfully be an option in the printer driver, to 'clean roller'. Some Canon printers have that as a function, when the feed roller is hard to reach. I do not know that the Selphy E20 has this capability, but check in the printer driver.
(It is in
Start - Control Panel - Devices and Printers
right-click upon the icon for your Selphy printer, then choose Properties.
This is the driver settings and functions. There may be, in the 'Maintenance' tab - if there is such a tab - a Clean Roller function. -Not to be confused with a Clean Printhead function, which would be irrelevant to your problem I am certain.
...It is there, if you have a Windows computer, and if you installed the software for this model properly when you first bought the printer.)

Let me know... and BTW, *if* the printer is less than a year old, it will be serviced by Canon for free-of-charge under warranty terms. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am still unable to fix the problem. IO have contacted canon direct.

I hope that Canon can help you with the matter.

Thank you for letting me know.