Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

I have a Canon Pixma 5250 I replaced the Cyan cartridge today

I have a Canon Pixma 5250 I replaced the Cyan cartridge today I now get an error "Type of print head is incorrect, how can this be I only replaced the in cartridge not the print head, I have removed and reset the print head but get the same error.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
There is no factory reset on these machines unplugging it for a little while resets it. Is the new cartridge a genuine Canon cartridge?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Yes I have only used genuine Canon cartridges,

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.

.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have done this, confirm that all the cartridges are brand new, bought this morning.Confirm all contacts in the machine are clean no ink or dirt cam off them, confirm all cartridge red LED's are glowing correctly, machine unplugged and then restarted. Machine went through full start up and then displayed the error.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Can you test with the old cartridges for me? This will tell us if the new cartridge is defective and causing a print head error.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Same Error

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok next we will want to remove the print head and do a manual deep cleaning.
This video explains how to do that: Click Here You can dry it with a lint free cloth instead of waiting, do not use paper towels as lint can clog the nozzles.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Followed the instructions on the video, completely cleaned the head, loads of ink came out, continued until clear water appeared, followed install procedure, same error occurs on restart.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Is it the same with both old and new cartridges still?.\
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Both versions now tried, an get same error

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Darn, I really hate to tell you this but that would mean your print head has indeed failed and needs to be replaced. It happening when you got new cartridges is a coincidence since it does the same thing with the old ones. The part number is ***** and any local shop should be able to get it for you, you can sometimes get it cheaper on eBay for around $50 as well. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thanks for you help.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
You're welcome and If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.