Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair
59725966

how can i get my cannon pixma IP4300 only print images but

how can i get my cannon pixma IP4300 only print images but not text
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. We’ll get started chatting here.

If you’d prefer support beyond the chat format, you may also reach me directly via phone or a remote support session. I’ll send an additional services offer for these options - feel free to ignore it for now, it will be available to you at any time during or after our conversation.

Nathan :

Your question is a bit confusing the way it is worded.

Nathan :

Can you please clarify, are you saying that it will print images, but not print text?

Nathan :

meaning that it is printing color, but no black?

Customer:

it seems to print all images but does not print text which is in black i have tried to change the colour to print texts but that did not work maybe now i have put some new inks in that might work

Nathan :

Thank you for clarifying.

Nathan :

Can you please go into the printer properties, and try running a test page, or a nozzle check, and let me know how that comes out?

Nathan :

If it won't print text no matter what the color (black, red, blue, yellow), then it is a driver issue

Nathan :

If it just isn't printing black, as indicated by a nozzle check, or by trying to print a solid black box/image (make one up in ms paint or another photo program), then you've got a clogged/faulty printhead.

Customer:

i have done a nozzle check and the printer ink is fine on all nozzles. I have tried to print a again it does not print a text , i have not changed the colour again but it did not work last time i will try that again and get back to you

Customer:

i have done the text colour, no luck

Nathan :

Okay, go ahead and try to print a solid block of black if you can as well

Nathan :

just to be certain

Nathan :

but this is sounding like a driver issue with the computer, though it could be a problem with the logic board inside the printer as well

Nathan :

what application are you printing from?

Nathan :

can you try to create just a simple text document, with the font set as courier or times new roman

Customer:

i have created a box it did not print in black, but did print in blue

Nathan :

(use notepad if you can, rather than word or a more advanced program)

Nathan :

So when you tried to print a solid black box, it came out blank? or it came out blue?

Customer:

it came out blank

Nathan :

okay that alone means that the black nozzles on the head are clogged/bad, or the logic board that is controlling those nozzles is bad

Nathan :

which logically makes a lot more sense than a driver problem related to text only

Nathan :

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function, if it doesn’t work try it a second time. If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use, and this is a very old printer. That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Customer:

how do i use the automated cleaning of the print heads

Nathan :

You should be able to find that in the setup menu (printer properties),

Nathan :

same place you found the nozzle check

Customer:

This did not work what advice. Need a new printer???

Nathan :

That is probably the most practical option

Nathan :

a new head is about £75 part

Nathan :

you can get a brand new printer for little more

Nathan :

since yours is a 2006 model, and they are really built for only a 3 year service life, all of the other components are pretty well worn as well, so it may not be worth the investment in fixing it

Customer:

what type of printer would you recommend as i do not use it a lot

Nathan :

I'll be happy to recommend one for you,

Nathan :

Here is a model I'd suggest

Nathan :

It is easy to set up and use, good print quality, and has reasonably priced ink

Customer:

what is the general cost???

Nathan :

That model is £65 from the site that I linked you to

Nathan :

and would have free delivery

Nathan :

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

Nathan