Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

My Canon Printer PIXMA MP560 has a yellow light flashing and

My Canon Printer PIXMA MP560 has a yellow light flashing and a message as follows:
B200
Printer error has occurred. Unplug the power cord and contact the service centre
Can you help please?
0044 1275 810423 or *****@******.***
Any advice please?
Tim M
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
The lights should flash in a pattern, what is that pattern?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The green and the yellow lights are flashing alternately at a regular speed

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Turn the machine off and unplug it.
Then by hand move the print head (cradle) by hand.
It should move freely, if it does not it is damaged.

Move it back and forth across the bar 3 or 4 times.
Then leave it in the middle of the bar.

Plug the machine back in and turn it on.
Give it a minute or two to detect the print head in the middle and recalibrate it.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have tried this and it didn't work. I notice that the flashing pattern of green/yellow stops very briefly after 10 flashes of yellow then repeats the cycle. Any help?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Yes that would be the pattern thank you. Does it do that as soon as you turn it on or only when you try to print?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As soon as I turn it on. well the green light flashes 4 times and then they yellow light starts

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Did the carriage move freely when you did the original steps?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes it did. Just tried it again

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok, Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.

.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have carried out the above instructions but sadly with no good result. Position as when we started

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
As mentioned we need to troubleshoot to find the problem and it is possible you will need to replace a part to fix this. Is the pattern exactly the same 10 times? Remove the ink cartridges do you see a latch you can lift on the carriage? Not all Canons have one.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, a sort of E shaped latch (without the middle stroke) which lifts upwards

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok good lift that latch and remove the print head. The latch releases it.
Then check and see if the same pattern occurs even with the print head removed, this will rule that out.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

same pattern. ShoulD I clean the print head?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
If the pattern had changed yes but since it did not that can be ruled out as the issue. You can put it back in the machine as well as the ink cartridges. How old is the printer?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

4-5 years old. no problems thus far

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Darn, Darn, even if you had an extended warranty it would no longer be covered. Unfortunately since we have ruled out the print head it means the logic board has failed and needs to be replaced. This part can be expensive so I would call around for a price. Normally it costs between £50 and £75 for the part alone. This is the cheapest one I was able to find at £22: Click Here The part number is ***** if you want to look somewhere else.

The labour would be about an hour at the shops rate if done by a shop, that is usually between £50 and £65. Due to the price some people do decide to replace the machine if it is more than a year old if you decide to go that route I would be happy to help you find a replacement. If you have any questions or need any help following these steps click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don't forget to leave a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not your Canon or this site.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Freddy, this is a machine that I use for company business and it cost £100. I think repairing it isn't the answer. I think I will source a new machine , hopefully one that will take the same cartridges so i don't waste them. I'll look for this myself as I'm just off on holiday. Can you send me a receipt for the cost of your advice please so that I can claim as a business expense. I appreciate your patience in trying to solve the problem. Tim

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
These machines all use the same ink cartridges:

Canon All-in-One MachinesPIXMA MP540, PIXMA MP550, PIXMA MP560, PIXMA MP620, PIXMA MP630, PIXMA MP640, PIXMA MP980, PIXMA MP990, PIXMA MX860, PIXMA MX870
Canon Inkjet PrintersPIXMA PMFP1, PIXMA PMFP3, PIXMA SFP1, PIXMA SFP2, PIXUS MP610, PIXUS MX860
Canon Photo PrintersPIXMA iP3600, PIXMA iP4600, PIXMA iP4700

As for cost it shows USD for me of $24 which would be about £18.50. If you have any questions or need any help following these steps click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don't forget to leave a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not your Canon or this site.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So no official receipt is possible? Is that right?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
I have no way of doing that and have no control over billing at all, but have sent a report in so that those who do can email you one. If you have any questions or need any help following these steps click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don't forget to leave a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not your Canon or this site.
.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience